All Skiers are Welcome in West Yellowstone
The West Yellowstone Ski Education Foundation (WYSEF) is excited to announce a variety of activities for the upcoming winter season. Cross country skiers of all abilities and ages are welcome to participate in WYSEF’s races, recreational skis, and classes. Join us on the weekends for…
- Saturday January 5 at 11am. The second SPAM Cup of the season will be held on the Rendezvous Ski Trails. The SPAM Cup is a series of three citizen’s races held throughout the season, skiers of all ages and abilities are welcome. This race will be freestyle technique with distances of 2k, 7.5k, and 15k to choose from. THE START AND REGISTRATION WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE BIATHLON RANGE. Please arrive with enough time to ski out there before registration closes at 10:45am. First place winners for each distance will receive a highly coveted SPAM trophy!
- Saturday January 5. Following the second SPAM Cup of the winter will be a chance for skiers to try their hand at biathlon. Marc Sheppard of Altius Custom Firearms and his biathletes will be at the biathlon range to give instructions to any skiers interested in learning about this sport. Firearms, ammunition and targets will be provided. Bring yourself and your steady hand!
- Saturday January 26. WYSEF has coordinated with the USFS to offer a FREE ski day on the Rendezvous Ski Trails on Saturday, January 26. Local Nordic shops, Freeheel & Wheel 406-646-7744 and Bud Lilly’s 406-646-7801, will offer free ski rentals this day also. WYSEF Board Members and other local experts will offer complimentary ski lessons from 11-2pm. Altius Handcrafted Firearms will also sponsor the Try It Biathlon Day. Learn the basics of biathlon and then test yourself after skiing with an elevated heart rate. Rifles and ammunition will be provided. Meet at the Rendezvous Trailhead Building and learn how to ski and shoot! If you are interested in teaching beginners to intermediates, please contact Moira. Last year, the FREE SKI DAY was an overwhelming success. Join us and help us celebrate Winter Trails Day 2013!
- Saturday February 9 at 10am. The third and final SPAM Cup of the season will be held on the Rendezvous Ski Trails. The SPAM Cup is a series of three citizen’s races held throughout the season, skiers of all ages and abilities are welcome. Bring both your classic and freestyle skis as this race style, distances and course details are to be determined. First place winners for each distance will receive a highly coveted SPAM trophy!
- Saturday February 9 at 2pm. The 3rd annual Taste of the Trails will be held following the season’s final SPAM Cup. Enjoy a leisurely 5k ski to four different courses of food, ending with dessert at the trailhead building. Please check the rendezvousskitrails.com for more information, including where to purchase tickets.
- Saturday February 25 at 6:00pm. Join WYSEF Board members for a moonlight ski. Meet at the Rendezvous Trailhead Building at 6:00pm and see the trails in a whole new light. A trail pass is required but there is no additional fee for this guided ski.
- Saturday March 2. The 34th annual Yellowstone Rendezvous Race will be held in West Yellowstone, Montana. Skiers from across the nation will be on the Rendezvous Ski Trails to compete in this marathon ski race. Course distances range from 2k for the kids to 50k for those looking for a true long distance event. All the details can be found online at www.rendezvousrace.com. Register early for the best rate.
- Sunday March 3. The WYSEF Youth Ski Festival is a terrific way to wrap up your family’s Rendezvous Race weekend. Skiers aged thirteen and younger are encouraged to have fun on skis. Your child can participate in activities such as musical chairs, relay races, and the obstacle course. This low key event is perfect for young skiers. Families will walk away with a smile and some great photo ops!
- March 23-24. The Equinox Ski Challenge is a springtime celebration, a season finale, and also among the most challenging ski races in the world. This event is ingrained with camaraderie, challenge, and commitment to the well-being of the local community. Skiers of ALL abilities are welcome. The goal is to have a lot of fun and also complete as many laps as you can in the 6 Hour, 12 Hour or 24 Hour divisions. Skiers can enter as a relay team of up to 8 members or as a soloist. For more information, please go to www.equinoxskichallenge.com.
The Rendezvous Ski Trails are currently open and groomed regularly. The grooming report and schedule of events can be found at www.rendezvousskitrails.com. A United States Forest Service ski pass is required to ski on the Rendezvous Ski Trails. You can pick one up at several locations around town including the Chamber of Commerce Visitor’s Center, Bud Lilly’s Trout Shop, Freeheel & Wheel, Yellowstone Alpen Guides and at the trailhead; day passes are $8.00 and season passes are $40.00.
For more information or to volunteer at any of the above events, please contact WYSEF Director Moira Dow at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-697-6126. Happy trails!