Total 25 - 3127063200
Wild Rumpus Sports

Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

Home Forums Gear Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jon44 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jon44
    Participant

I’m intrigued by videos of Ski-Go’s classic rollerski that has natural looking “flex” with every kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w-K9jlkAE)   Seems like this would make it a lot easier on the joints than pounding a kick into a stiff aluminum shaft.

The problem is, the video also makes it look like the wheels are pretty fast (and other reviews confirm it’s faster than Swenor or V2′s slow wheels).

So, looking for any feedback people might have on the different state-of-the-art classic roller skis out there.  I’m looking for something that is slow enough to be able do diagonal stride up a mild uphill along with having a flexy shaft for absorbing both vibration and impact forces of the kick.  (Nice to have is something that would roll over bumps without catching.)

Specific contenders seem to be:

- Ski-Go Carbon 780
    - Swenor Fiberglass Cap (with “wheel speed 3″)
    - V2 Terra (with composite shaft) or standard V2 910 with composite shaft

Thanks in advance,

Jon

P.s., and not sure of etiquette, but I also posted this to Nordic Newsgroup…

rbladel
    Participant

I’m using Elpex ARM Team classic roller skis, which are all composite, and I love them.  They have a camber and flex as the Ski Go do, and carve a turn like nobody’s business.  Unfortunately, they are very expensive, and may no longer be available.  (I found mine on ebay.)

My guess is that all of the composite shafted skis will flex and absorb vibration pretty well.  Others you may want to consider are the Marwes and the Italian monocoque carbon model that Joe Galanes imports.  They most resemble the Elpexes I have.

One advantage of the Marwes is that they have a protective layer of what looks like p-tex on the bottom.  Carbon is quite susceptible to failing at what seem to be minor dings and scratches, and that bottom skin flexes under tension.

The advantages of  the V2s is that spare parts and wheels are easily available with a quick phone call, not to mention the options of speed reducers and brakes.  I know they have brought some products to market before they work out all of the bugs, but I think those have been around long enough to work out the kinks.  The wheels are basically the same that they’ve had for over 20 years.

Good luck.  Our race season just ended here, so it’s back to asphalt.  As one of my teammates says, we’re really just roller skiers who ski in the off season.

Randy

Jon44
    Participant

Randy:

Thanks so much for the info.  The roller-skis that Galanes imports look almost too cool to pass up:  http://www.skiroll.eu/prodotti_desc.asp?tipo=&n_risultati=&id_prodotti_cat=0&id_item=4&page=1 (not to mention their name: Globulonero).  They also have good spec’s with longer than average wheelbase and bigger than average wheel diameter (and choice of different speed wheels, which you don’t get with Ski-Go).

One interesting point is they offer both pure carbon and a composite (carbon/fiberglass) versions and (according to Google Translate), don’t recommend the pure-carbon for lighter skiers.  Also, they seem to indicate the composite gives better vibration dampening….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.