Total 25 - 3505137333
Wild Rumpus Sports

Roto brush

Home Forums Waxing Roto brush

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  flyingpoint 5 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

WI skier
    Participant

I am looking to purchase a roto brush setup Does anyone have opinions on Swix vs Red Creek or other roto brush handles and actual brushes? Is 100mm wide fine, or is there a reason to go wider if I am only setup to do 1 ski at a time?

James Kyes

I am also interested in what others would say, but are you waxing for multiple people or just your own personal skis. if your own, i would say hand brush, less chance of overheating, overbrushing, and the time advantage is not that great. the best part of of roto brushes is the speed of it, but i much prefer the handbrushing for only a couple skis. the roto cork is great for flouros though.

edgarhee

Roto brushes are useful when waxing multiple pairs of skis. Hand brushing seems to work as well as a roto brush. In contrast, hand corking fluro can not generate the same amount of heat as a roto cork.

triguy

In answer to your original question. 100mm is fine, you will never brush multiple skis at one time. The larger brushes are only needed if you want one of the brushes with two different textures/materials or if you are doing alpine or snowbard equipment.

To follow up on the other questions raised. I think hand brushing a single pair of skis is faster than roto-brushing. It takes no time to grab a brush and do the skis, but you need to plug in the drill (or cordless) and setup the brushes and change them if you want to use different brushes. Also, you will need the hand brushes as well as the roto-brushes so really the roto setup is just an addition it will never replace the need for good hand brushes.

Personally I have never seen a base that was burnt by roto-brushing unless you get over aggressive with a roto-cork and they usually disintigrate before the base burns. Use a gentle pressure and let the speed of the drill do the work.

OldManWinter

I’ll second what others have offered…If you are doing one pair, roto tools are probably not necessary most of the time, but the rotocork does have some merit for powders. Swix or Red Creek? I don’t think you can go wrong either way, so buy what you need as

your budget allows. However, I would strongly urge you to stay away from the V2 system. My horsehair brush (which they don’t seem to offer anymore) had bristles that were very brittle and broke off constantly. The plastic brush (which they still sell) had bristles that were so sharp when new that they would structure my skis. I had to ‘detune’ it by running it against a cinder block, thereby rounding the

bristle ends. The V2 system is relatively inexpensive, but it compensates by being terrible. If you decide to go the roto route, spend the money on

a good kit, you won’t regret it. As suggested, focus on one ski at a time. You need to get a feel for it, which includes light pressure and allowing the tool to do the work. Congratulations, no matter what you choose. Roto tools can be a great time saver and, imho, a necessity if you wax for a family or a team.

flyingpoint

I’ll echo everything OldManWinter said — especially regarding V2. Their rotocorks are a two-piece poly construction over a sandpaper covered drum. Three times in one winter – with two different corks – I had the cork “separate” and ended up custom grinding an athlete’s skis. Stick with Swix or Red Creek.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.