Welcome to “17 Questions for 2017″, where we are catching up with American and Canadian national-team members before the beginning of the winter season.
Canadian biathlete Carsen Campbell spent his first year as a senior last season, primarily traveling the IBU Cup circuit in central Europe. At the end of the year he got a reward: his first World Cup start, in Presque Isle, Maine, where he finished 78th in the 10-kilometer sprint.
The 21-year-old Prince Edward Island native long represented Canada in the youth and junior ranks and is now moving toward contributing to its senior team.
1. Biggest change in your life in the last five or so months since the ski season ended?
This year I have a D card [for funding from Sport Canada]. It lets me work less and train and recover more!
2. Biggest change in your training?
This year I was invited to two camps with the A and B team. The first was a volume camp in Jasper, the second a Altitude and Volume camp in Park City. I have also extended the length of my long rollerskis significantly.
3. Major areas of improvement you’ve seen so far?
It will all come to light as soon as we start racing, but I’m pretty happy with everything so far. I’ve put down some pb’s in our up hill tests!
4. Whom you’ve been working closest with this offseason (coaches or training partners)?
My coach Richard Boruta has been leading my program.
5. Best trip in the last five months (and why)?
This was my first time to Utah and I was taken by the long passes and beautiful fall colors.
6. Favorite cross-training?
Mountain runs, preferably long ones!
7. Favorite non-athletic activity or pastime this summer?
Swimming at Quarry lake
8. Song that was your jam this summer?
Gonna, Blake Shelton
9. All-time favorite race moment?
That’s way too hard a question. I had a good shooting streak going towards the end of last season, that was pretty fun.
10. First thing you pack in your bag when you leave for Europe?
My Hammock! Never know when you’ll have to sleep in an airport.
11. Venue/event you’re most excited to visit this season?
I’m excited to race XC nationals at the end of the year in Canmore. We rarely race the XC guys so this will be new and fun!
12. Who will win the men’s and women’s World Cup titles this year?
Who won’t get caught doping is a tougher question?!?!
13. Biggest sacrifice you feel you’ve made choosing this career path?
Probably being broke all the time and not being able to pursue education and a career.
14. If you could change one thing about your sport, what would it be?
I wish there were more races in North America so we wouldn’t be dealing with jet lag and fatigue as much throughout the season.
15. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
Cream of wheat, left over from yesterday morning.
16. In 5 years, I’ll be ____?
17. In 50 years, I’ll be ____?
Hopefully sitting on the porch telling my grandkids about how fast I was in my younger days!