New South Wales Cross Country (NSWXC)
Cross Country Skiing Program Head Coach – Winter Program
NSW Cross Country is responsible for the athlete pathway of cross country skiing in NSW. This includes development of entry level programs and programs for athletes within the Australian Athlete Development pathway and for higher performing athletes, with the ultimate aim of Australian National Team selection.
NSW Cross Country is seeking expressions of interest from coaches to work with the NSW Junior Team and Athlete Development Programs during the 2017 Southern Hemisphere winter with the primary role of coaching athletes and coordinating the winter program.
The Program will be of approximately 9 weeks duration and will be based predominately in Jindabyne, NSW, with travel to the Victorian resort of Falls Creek for races and training events. There may be a requirement to travel to Sydney for dryland training. Additional information is provided in the job descriptions below.
Interested persons should apply via email to NSW Cross Country Skiing Chair: (email@example.com) by 10th Feb 2017, briefly addressing the key selection criteria and providing a one page Curriculum Vitae outlining qualifications and experience.
Please provide 2 references, with the contact details of the referees.
Applicants may be invited to supply additional information and/or to attend an interview. The appointment will be made by the selection committee of NSWXC.
Position Title: 2017 NSWXC Head Coach Winter Program/Program Manager.
Due Date: By 1700 hrs, AEST, Friday 10th Feb 2017
Contract Period: 19th June 2017 to 23rd August 2017.
Overview: The NSWXC Head Coach Winter Program/Program Manager will primarily be responsible for developing and supporting a winter on-snow program focused on two distinct parts:
- A Junior Development school holiday program
- A season training/racing program for the State Team and Squad.
The athletes involved in the program are of a diverse age range and skill level, from those who are part of a club program and at the beginning of their development, to athletes who have qualified for state team and squad programs, to athletes who are part of the National Team.
Ages range from approximately 10 years to early 20’s. The program will be primarily based at Perisher, with two weekends away for competition at Falls Creek. In case of the later arrival of snow, a dry-land training program would need to be implemented.
If mutually agreeable, the successful applicant may be invited to co-ordinate a dryland training program for the NSW Team and Squad members for the 2017/2018 summer with a possibility of a further “on snow” appointment for 2018.
Remuneration and Expenses: Remuneration details are yet to be finalised however it is expected that a weekly wage, accommodation, transport to all venues and Return Airfares would be part of the package. [With one day a week as personal time]. The Visa application to be coordinated by the NSWXC Committee.
If return airfares are not required, a negotiated sum for travel expenses would be added to the package.
Job Responsibilities will include:
- Program design and implementation based on an assessment of the athlete age, fitness and skill levels.
- Coordinating daily training activities of athletes
- Managing and direction of coaches who will be assisting with the school holiday and season training/racing program.
- Monitoring athlete training programs and general wellbeing.
- Assisting athletes with technique development in both classic and freestyle. • Motivating athletes in their build up to competition.
- Providing race and waxing support for competitions.
- Conducting training and waxing education sessions
- Local coach development and Mentoring.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire athletes.
- Demonstrated communication skills with athletes, parents and coaches.
- Demonstrated ability to manage diverse levels of athletes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and adjust individual training programs.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of skiing techniques and ability to refine athletes’ technical skills.
- Demonstrated organisational skills, in particular in relation to coordinating a diverse coaching program
- Demonstrated race support skills including classic waxing, glide waxing and race day organisation.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve issues within a team environment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to make decisions under pressure.
- Hold a Cross Country ski coach qualification either within Australia or internationally. • Experience in coaching/managing athletes/team programs.
- Current First-Aid certification.
- Experience in training and competing.
- Current Working with Children check, or equivalent state certification, International applicants will be assisted to obtain this requirement.
- Current Australian or international drivers’ licence.
Alex Kochon (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the former managing editor at FasterSkier. She spent seven years with FS from 2011-2018, and has been writing, editing, and skiing ever since. She's making a cameo in 2020.