The Bogus Basin Nordic Team (BBNT) in Boise, ID is seeking a full-time Head Coach and Director of Programs. This person is responsible for the oversight, management, and progress of the program toward established goals and objectives.
BBNT is a non-profit ski team for athletes of all ages and abilities in Boise, ID. It is part of the Intermountain Division, and is a year-round, competitive cross-country ski program. Athlete goals range from healthy after school exercise, to building friendships, to athletic success at the national and international level. The program, now in its 33rd year, aims to create lifetime athletes and foster opportunities for all potential skiers within the Boise Nordic community.
Boise, Idaho is unique for its urban setting with great skiing and outdoor access nearby. Boise’s foothills boast a robust connected network of ~180 miles of mountain bike and running trails. The Payette River offers Class II, III, IV, and V paddling about an hour from Boise, and paddlers can also enjoy a whitewater park in town.
Boise State University has many opportunities for those looking to pursue advanced education for the applicant and/or their partner. Past coaches have pursued Masters Degrees from BSU while coaching.
BBNT has a strong local alumni network that will help coaches find affordable housing in great neighborhoods.
The Bogus Basin Nordic Team is comprised of all age groups and abilities, totaling over 160 athletes:
- Youth Rec: Elementary-aged skiers (3rd-6th grade) learning to Nordic ski. This program will include adaptive athletes next season.
- Devo: The “Development” program is offered to athletes of all abilities in 6th through 12th grade.
- Comp: 9th-12th grade racers training 5-6 days/week May-March.
- Biathlon: optional add-on program for athletes on BBNT.
- Adult: The Adult team is our newest program (2019 season) and offers a wide range of athletic and fitness goals.
Essential Duties (detailed job description available upon application):
- Responsible for all team members with emphasis on Comp level athletes.
- Work with head Devo, Youth Rec, and Adult coaches to oversee training for all age groups.
- Plan and conduct team training: dry-land training sessions, training camps, and on-snow with Comp and Devo athletes.
- Cultivate an inclusive, positive, and cohesive relationship amongst athletes and coaches.
- Develop and manage weekly, monthly, and annual training schedules and plans for all BBNT athletes. Communicate schedule to parents and athletes through weekly emails.
- Oversee waxing equipment, ski team equipment and team rental gear.
- Coordinate all aspects of Junior National Qualifier races (JNQs) including race entries, waxing, coaches, athlete management, transportation.
- Attend Junior Nationals as part of the Intermountain Division Staff, and U.S. Nationals with BBNT athletes.
- Maintain BBNT status as an official Para Nordic Club and provide collaboration to our adaptive partners in the valley.
- Provide logistical support to Biathlon Team and Biathlon Director. If experienced/interested, coach biathlon (adding this role would increase salary).
**BBNT has an executive director who manages many administrative duties, including website, registration, payroll, billing, ordering uniforms, etc.
- Competitive race experience with extensive knowledge of classic and skate technique
- 3 or more years of coaching experience preferred
- Passion for athlete development as competitors and as life-long athletes.
- Ability to create a positive and inclusive team environment.
- General ski service knowledge.
- Driver’s license – clean record; experience towing a trailer helpful
- CPR/First Aid certification
- Level 100 or 200 USSA Coaching Certification
- Salary $50,000-60,000, DOE.
- The preferred candidate will begin in August-September 2022 to facilitate fall programs / training and plan for winter.
If you are interested in this position, but don’t feel that you meet the qualifications, please reach out to email@example.com. BBNT is open to providing training/mentorship for a motivated new coach to fill a modified role, such as Comp Team Head Coach.
Email resume, cover letter, and contact information for two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention: Mike Wendel
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Prior to a final offer, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, SafeSport certification and criminal background check.
BBNT offers equal treatment to all applicants. BBNT prohibits discrimination, directly or indirectly, on the basis of race, gender, color, national origin, religion, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Application Opens: May 1, 2022
Application Closes: When filled
Preferred Start Date: September, 2022