Work Dates: Year-round
Status: Part-Time, Hourly (approximately 750 hours annually)
This is a dual-functioning role. It is both a managerial and an active coaching position whose focuses are to set goals for the entire team, develop coaching programs, coordinate coaches across the program to ensure consistency of teaching and message, function as Lead coach for the Senior group of Nordic skiers and be the communications point person for the entire team.
Essential Functions (see attached pdf for a comprehensive list)
- Function as the Lead Coach of the Seniors group (grades 8-12) – including developing and leading training throughout the year.
- Develop a summer program for Seniors and Devos (grades 5-12)
- Coach Devos (grades 5-7) during the dryland season and occasionally during the winter to assist withtheir development and retention.
- Develop training plans for skiers who will be racing as well as non-racing Team skiers.
- Coordinate Lead Coaches, provide annual training to all LWSC Nordic Team Coaches & be an availableresource for ski technique and coaching related questions.
- Host trainings for coaches, skiers and parents in waxing techniques.
- Work with management on youth races and other events oriented to youth that the LWSC hosts. Thiscould include overall organization, course layout, timing, race-day set-up and take-down, etc.
- Coach at the Junior National Qualifier races and at the Junior National race if elected to do so. Roles atthese events include coach, communicator, and ski waxer.
- Coach at the Washington Nordic Cup Races or delegate coaching duties to other LWSC Coaches.
- Assist with fundraising activities.
- Prepare weekly communications to Team parents and skiers and deliver via the LWSC website Teampages or other avenues as appropriate.
- Be knowledgeable of both glide and kick waxes and be proficient in wax application.
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for skiing.
- Be an ambassador for LWSC to all Team skiers and their families.
- Place Team orders of jackets, race suits, waxes and other items as necessary.
- Be willing to take on other Team duties as necessary.
Experience / Requirements
- Must be at least 24 years of age.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and be willing and able to transport skiers in a team van.
- Must have current SafeSport certification or the equivalent (in the case of school employees).
- Must maintain US Ski and Snowboard Coach Certification at a minimum of Level 200
- Must be skilled in skate and classic techniques and be able to demonstrate those skills to your skiers.
- Must be able to assess the techniques of your skiers and aid them in improving their technique.
- Must be organized, able to adapt to changing situations and be able to maintain composure andprofessionalism in uncomfortable situations.
- Must have strong communication skills, motivational skills and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with skier development programs is preferred.
- Compensation is $23 per hour.
- You will be reimbursed annually for your US Ski & Snowboard membership & SafeSport certifications.
- You will be reimbursed for the cost of any additional coach trainings (lodging and mileage included;pre-approval required).
- You will be reimbursed for lodging and travel to races in which you perform an active coaching role.
- You will be reimbursed for the equivalent of an individual LWSC season pass.
- The LWSC may offer additional benefits, to be determined annually.
To apply see the full job description below: