The Red Deer Nordic Ski Club in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada is looking to hire a full-time coach to oversee our Learn to Train (L2T), Train to Train (T2T) and Learn to Compete (L2C) programs (9-18 year olds) for the 2014/2015 season. We currently have 40 athletes in these 3 programs competing at local, provincial and national levels. Red Deer is a city of 100,000 with 2 cross country ski areas used as our training base.
Coaching duties will include developing training schedules for our L2C athletes, designing and leading training sessions (weekday evenings and weekends), and coaching at fall and winter training camps. As head coach you will work with our assistant coaches and attend regional, provincial and possibly national competitions. The position includes coaching dryland sessions (September to start of snow season) and on snow training sessions to end of March.
This position is a full time contract offering a competitive salary($30K minimum).
- Conduct safe, fun and developmentally appropriate practices for L2T, T2T and/or L2C programs with the support of volunteer coaches and parents.
- Work with assistant coaches in developing training schedules and programs
- Communicate with athletes and families by email and website about schedule and upcoming events
- Coordinate and attend out of town races and camps
- Provide race support including waxing
The ideal candidate will be a skier and/or coach with experience at the junior or senior racing level working with cross country skiers, with coaching certification. Previous coaching experience is required. Coaches must be able to run and ski with the athletes and demonstrate good technique.
Contract runs late August 2014 – April 2015. Compensation is competitive and dependent on qualifications and experience. Red Deer Nordic is committed to developing our coaches and will pay for coaches to attend coaching certification courses.
If interested in applying, please submit the following documents to Brian Johnson, Co-ordinator, Red Deer Nordic Ski Club, at email@example.com
- Cover letter and resume, highlighting why you want to coach junior cross country skiers, your qualifications and what skills, experiences and background experiences you would bring to this position.
Two references including name and contact information (at least one ski related contact)