Head Coach, Nordic Ski and Cross Country
Supervisor: Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
Status/Type: Full-Time, Exempt, 12-Month
Salary: A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and consistent with NCAA Division III head coaches for the sport of Nordic Skiing and Cross Country.
Position Summary: The Head Coach is responsible for the development and implementation of a successful intercollegiate Nordic and Cross Country program by fulfilling specific job responsibilities in the intercollegiate athletic department. The Head Coach is expected to work as a team-player with primary responsibilities of coordinating all aspects of our Nordic and Cross Country programs and adhering to all NCAA rules for the sport of Nordic Skiing and Cross Country running. The Head Coach should foster student personal growth and development as well academic and athletic achievement. The Head Coach is viewed as a mentor and advocate of equity and diversity within the athletic department. Female and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 4 years collegiate coaching experience; or 6 years with a combinationof head coaching and competitive experience at the collegiate level.
- Strong work ethic, integrity and a positive attitude.
- Adaptable to a dynamic environment characteristic of an institution experiencingenrollment growth and program development.
1. Master’s degree.
- Develop, structure and implement a nationally competitive intercollegiate Nordic Ski and Cross Country program, striving for individual and team athletic and academic excellence.
- Recruitment and retention of 10 specific student-athletes per gender annually to the University for each the Nordic and Cross Country programs (roster total of 40 between the two).
- Supervise and direct associate and/or assistant Nordic and Cross Country personnel.
- Collaborate with the athletic academic coordinator and university faculty to monitor academic progress of student athletes to ensure that athletic eligibility and academic standards are maintained.
- Provide leadership to ensure that athletes conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with university and athlete code of conduct working directly with the Director of Athletics, Dean of Students, and related staff of the Student Development Division.
- Secure a schedule of competition to be approved by the Director of Athletics with appropriate NCAA colleges/conference for the Nordic and CC program.
- Arrange lodging accommodations for away competitions.
- Submit travel plans and budget requests for all recruitment and athletic competitionactivities to the Director of Athletics.
- Report game statistics to the Sports Information Director.
- Oversee team budgets and operate teams within budget limits.
- Develop and promote camp/clinic programs designed for youth skill enhancement.
- Assist the Strength and Conditioning Coordinator to develop, implement, and monitor conditioning and skills enhancement programs designed to improve student athletic ability and performance.
- Adhere to all NCAA Division III rules and regulations governing collegiate athletics and the sports of Cross Country Running and Nordic Skiing.
- Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University “as a learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service” 15.Perform additional administrative responsibilities as qualified and assigned.
Application Procedure: Mail or e-mail cover letter and resume to:
Chris M. Salani
Director of Athletics
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930 Chris.email@example.com
Application review will begin immediately and position will remain posted until filled.