Registration is now open for the 36th annual UP Health System Portage Great Bear Chase. The race will take place on Saturday, March 5th, 2016 at the beautiful Swedetown Trails in Calumet, Michigan.
To register now, visit http://www.greatbearchase.com/registration/.
About the 2016 Great Bear Chase
The 2016 Great Bear Chase will feature seven races: 50 km Skiathlon, freestyle and classic 50 km, 25 km and 10 km races. Registration is open now, and is discounted more than 30 percent through the end of the year. The entry fee is $60 for the 25 km and 50 km events and $30 for the 10 km races. These prices will jump on January 1, February 3 and March 3.
Snow is on the way according to the latest weather forecasts. While we patiently wait for a white blanket to cover our beautiful Swedetown Trails, our Great Bear Chase planning committee has been busy finalizing race details. Some highlights of this year’s race include:
- Return of the 50 km Skiathlon – the 50km Skiathlon features a combined competition of 25 km classic skiing followed by by 25 km freestyle skiing. The two lap course is perfect for one lap of striding and one lap of skating. The Great Bear Chase 50km Skiathlon is part of the CXC Marathon Cup.
- Additional age groups added – we are pleased to announce an additional 10 age groups have been added to the Great Bear Chase, bringing our total to 104 across all events. That’s a whopping 312 age groups awards for male and female racers! To see a detailed breakdown of the age groups visit our race guide at http://www.greatbearchase.com/race-guide/.
- T-shirt swag – all participants will receive a cool 2016 Great Bear Chase dri-wicking t-shirt. Both men and women sizes will be available.
- New race start times – you provided your feedback and we listened. The 2016 Great Bear Chase will start an hour later than previous years with more condensed race starts. 50 km Skiathlon – 9 a.m. EST
- 50 km Classic – 9 a.m. EST
- 25 km Classic – 9:10 a.m. EST
- 50 km Freestyle – 9:30 a.m. EST
- 25 km Freestyle – 9:40 a.m. EST
- 10 km Classic – 9:50 a.m. EST
- 10 km Freestyle – 10:00 a.m. EST
We hope to see you at the 36th annual Great Bear Chase on Saturday, March 5th, 2016!