Durango Nordic Ski Club (DNSC) in Durango, Colorado, has an opening for a Nordic Program Director (NPD) / Head Coach (HC) for cross country skiing. The position is a year-round position with April and May off from training.
DNSC has been in existence since 1954 and is a year-round competitive junior cross-country ski program for junior skiers ages 6 through 19.
The NPD/HC for DNSC is responsible for the oversight and management of the junior race program for junior skiers from U8 through U20 classes. The DNSC NPD/HC is answerable to the DNSC Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Promote the vision and direction to keep Durango Nordic Ski Club as one of the top programs for junior skiers in the nation.
- Develop and conduct and administer a year-round training schedule for the competition skiers and for those who are training for Junior Nationals, U18 Nation’s Cup Scando Trip, or World Junior Championships.
- Work with other junior programs within the community so junior skiers can cross train in kayaking, mountain biking, cross country running, soccer and/or other sports and activities.
- Hire and train development staff coaches
- Provide leadership and training for coach’s education to the other DNSC coaches.
- Provide help in fundraising development and participation with the Durango Winter Sports Foundation (DWSF) where applicable in fundraising activities.
- Be responsible for an annual budget for the DNSC Team.
- Be creative in how DNSC could attract new members for the club.
- Generate timely and accurate communication with athletes, parents, and board of directors.
- Travel with the DNSC team to all Rocky Mountain Nordic (RMN) Division Junior National Qualifying races and several major events (West Yellowstone, US National Championships, Junior National Championships, Super Tour Races).
- Attend the annual fall & spring meetings of the RMN Division Junior Competition Committee.
- Attend National Coaches Conference for Coach’s Education as long as it fits within the DNSC budget.
- Adhere to the RMN and USSA coach’s Code of Conduct.
- Be involved in the race organization and production of any and all cross country ski races that are conducted by the DNSC.
- Be responsible for DNSC race entries and travel arrangements for RMN JNQs and other applicable competitions.
- Be responsible for the DNSC web site content so that it is up to date and accurate.
- With prior approval NPD/HC can apply for a USSA coaching position for the U18 Nations Cup Scando Trip or the World Junior Championships.
Compensation for this job is negotiable and will be based on expertise and previous experience in management and coaching of Nordic sports.
Application Deadline: April 18, 2016
To apply: Mail or e-mail a cover letter of application and an up to date resume to:
President Durango Nordic Ski Club
2613 Arroyo Drive
Durango, Colorado 81301