Jackson Hole Ski & Snowboard Club
Job Posting – Nordic Program Director & Head Coach
JHSC Mission: To inspire and develop student-athletes through innovative and accessible ski and snowboard programs that provide opportunities to pursue personal excellence in snowsports and life.
* FUN * COMMITMENT * TEAMWORK * SPORTSMANSHIP * COMPETITION
The Nordic Program Director (NPD) is responsible for guiding staff and assisting developing athletes in their pursuit of personal excellence in nordic skiing. The NPD should have a clear philosophy and structure for comprehensive long-term-athlete-development for nordic training and competition. The Nordic Program strives to create a positive, motivated, and fun training atmosphere that teaches athletes how to succeed in sport and life. The NPD, in partnership with IMD Nordic / US Ski & Snowboard, is responsible for the management and organization of nordic events within the Region. This position is responsible for ensuring that nordic training, events, and venues (including Trail Creek operations) are secured, hosted & managed such that they benefit the JHSC Nordic Program.
- Design training and preparation for all nordic athletes under the guidelines of the US Ski & Snowboard Long Term Athlete Development model.
- Design & implement Fall Parent/Athlete Meetings for all nordic teams.
- Coordinate monthly training plans for all Nordic Teams with Head Coaches – begin with Comp/Prep and end with Lollipopper. Meet with Head Coaches at least twice per month.
- Oversee and coordinate consistent and regular athlete evaluation processes in conjunction with all necessary domains of athlete development.
- Oversee student-athlete academic responsibilities with Student Athlete Support Director and Staff.
- Develop and maintain consistent, professional, educational, and supportive communication structures with staff, parents, and the community.
- Maintain strong presence as the Head Nordic Coach for the Prep & Comp team athletes.
- Stay current with local, national, and international rules governing nordic events.
- Hire, supervise, and terminate all Nordic Program staff as necessary with the Executive Director – including overseeing all volunteers.
- Design, implement, and oversee Nordic Program staff training and professional development.
- Work closely with IMD Nordic/USSS and Volunteer coordinator to manage events.
Nordic Program Events and Venues
- Plan, host, and manage approved JHSC Nordic Program events.
- Direct and execute JHSC Nordic Program events (TD/Chief of Race duties).
- Ensure all venues are managed for optimal training/competition for all levels of the Nordic Program.
- Participate in divisional, regional, and national event calendaring.
- Maintain excellent relationships with area training venues.
- Manage Event Crew staff based on events and needs.
- Plan & implement successful early season clean up & post season clean up at Trail Creek.
- Maintain inventory records of all Nordic Program equipment.
- Repair, maintain and purchase new equipment as necessary.
- Manage all administrative aspects of the Nordic Programming.
- Develop appropriate marketing and communications with CMO to recruit athletes.
- Coordinate all sponsorship and funding opportunities specific to Nordic Program with the JHSC Marketing Department and Executive Director.
- Work closely with other administrative staff to integrate Nordic Program communications with club-wide platforms and strategies.
- Attend all necessary meetings and staff education plan.
- Set and communicate staff performance objectives and provide regular performance evaluations for Nordic Program staff.
- Develop, oversee and manage performance of the Nordic Program and Trail Creek budgets.
Community and Club
- Develop, foster and maintain all community and strategic partner relations necessary for the success of the Nordic Program – especially Trail Creek, USFS, JH Land Trust.
- In concert with the Executive Director and other Program Directors, support parent education efforts, and lead those efforts specific to the Nordic Program.
- Assist with, and help coordinate Nordic Program involvement with all club events as appropriate.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. on a frequent basis.
- Ability to nordic ski over steep, uneven, changing terrain and often-inclement weather.
- Strong background in Nordic skiing, competitive programming and training.
- Detail oriented with good time management skills.
- Strong team player with proven leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills for working with staff, parents, athletes and community partners.
- Experience managing staff and volunteers.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office & Google Suite.
Other General Requirements
- The Nordic Program Director position is a full-time, year-round, position and works primarily out of the JHSC office in the summer, and Trail Creek in the winter. Pay commensurate with experience.
- The Nordic Program Director must maintain current US Ski & Snowboard, SafeSport and other appropriate professional credentials.
- This is a leadership position in the club and the community. The Nordic Program Director must maintain high personal and professional standards & relations at all times when representing JHSC.
Applications should include
- Cover letter, current resume and list of at least 5 references plus any letters of reference.
- Position open until filled.
Email above material to firstname.lastname@example.org