Foothills Nordic Job Posting, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Job Opportunity: Cross Country Head Coach
Reports To: Cross Country Director
Closing Date: 8:00PM, MST. December 15, 2020
Foothills Nordic Ski Club is currently seeking to fill the full time position of Cross Country Head Coach. The position will lead and/or oversee programming from the Learn 2 Train phase through to Training 2 Win.
Foothills Nordic is an active full service Nordic ski club based in Calgary, Alberta. Incorporated in 1964, the club has a long history of organizing and delivering programs geared towards cross-country skiers of all ages and performance levels.
The club offers programming from Jackrabbits through to Masters training groups at both a recreational and competitive level. Our members primarily ski at Confederation Park Golf Course, Canmore Nordic Centre and Kananaskis Country. Foothills Nordic has a long-standing record of being one of the top development ski clubs in the country.
STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
This position requires a comprehensive technical and leadership skill set, which will be used to help grow Foothills Nordic’s presence within the City of Calgary and the Bow Valley, and to continue to establish the club’s reputation of being a full service Nordic ski club in Canada. The position will require travel, as well as working in the evenings and weekends.
- Minimum Secondary School Diploma
- National Coaching Certification Program; Certified CCD status, or CCD status reasonably achievable within one year in the role
- Valid Wilderness First Aid (preferred), Standard First Aid (minimum)
- Class 4 Drivers License
- Criminal Record & Vulnerable Sector Screen
- Previous Head Coaching or Assistant Head Coaching experience
- Athlete monitoring and training plan design
- Managing and leading a team of coaches
- Wax and race support operations
- Planning and executing training camps
- Exercises sound judgment
- Personally connects with people
- Makes things happen
- Communicates effectively
- Takes responsibility
- Knows oneself
- Strives for excellence
- High degree of fitness
- Incumbent must commit to the following professional development if required;
- NCCP CDAG status
- Obtaining 80hr Wilderness First Aid
Reporting to the Cross Country Director, the incumbent is accountable for the club’s cross country Track Attack, T1, T2, LC and ULLR programs.
Specific duties include:
- Plan and deliver athlete programming for Track Attack, T1, T2, LC and Team ULLR. Ensure alignment with Nordiq Canada’s Athlete Development Matrix.
- Manage a team of coaches to ensure coverage for each day’s practice.
- Develop individualized training plans or group training plans suited to the needs of each athlete and/or group, which ensure physical and fitness development of each athlete.
- Provide technical feedback to each athlete to ensure physical competency of all cross country skiing techniques as appropriate for the athlete’s development.
- Provide mentorship to the team of coaches to progress their professional development.
- Support the organization of camps, races and other events.
- Attend races providing leadership, coaching support, wax determination, logistics, direction to parent / coach volunteers, and other tasks as needed.
- Collaborate with the Biathlon Head Coach and Jackrabbits Coordinator as directed by the Cross Country Director.
- Other duties as directed by the Cross Country Director.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Compensation for this position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
- One year contract from April 1st, 2021 to March 31st, 2022 leading to permanent position.
- Must maintain a valid class 4 drivers license and a clean criminal record (VSS).
HOW TO APPLY
Your resume with two references.
A cover letter, in 2000 words maximum, clearly demonstrating how you meet the Education and Experience criteria listed in the Statement of Qualifications (see above). Please clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria by providing concrete examples.
Closing Date: 8:00PM, MST. December 15th, 2020
QUESTIONS & SUBMISSION
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted.