Job Title: Nordic Program Director and Head Comp Team Coach
Reports to and works with: Executive Director
Status and Compensation: Full-time, 11 months, June-April, $45,000 salary, with flexible start date.
Glacier Nordic Club (GNC) is based out of Whitefish, Montana. Named one of the “Top 25 Ski Towns in the World” by National Geographic, Whitefish is located on the shores of Whitefish Lake and at the base of Big Mountain-home to Whitefish Mountain Resort. A short jaunt to Glacier National Park, Whitefish is a year-round outdoor destination. Glacier Nordic Club operations include rentals and lessons at the Glacier Nordic Center, winter grooming at multiple locations, and education for ages 4-18 plus adults through the Glacier Nordic Ski Team (GNST). In the 2021-2022 season, GNC youth enrollment in GNST programs exceeded 250 kids.
Position Summary: The position oversees the operations of the Glacier Nordic Club (GNC) and Glacier Nordic Club Ski Team (GNST) Nordic programs and serve as the Head Coach of the Competitive Team. GNST Programs include Chet Hope Youth Ski League (ages 4-10), Junior Jets Program (ages 8-11), Prep Team (ages 11-13), Comp Team (14-18), and assist with the Masters Program.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, Abilities, and Background:
- Passion around the mission of GNC and GNST.
- Hold and maintain a USSA Level 100 or higher Coach certification.
- Hold an updated Wilderness First Aid/CPR certification.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Strong managerial, administrative, and organizational skills.
- Strong work ethic.
- Proven ability to plan, facilitate, and adapt in your work structure.
- Comprehensive knowledge in Nordic waxing and equipment.
- Comprehensive knowledge in Nordic training and technique.
- Computer competency and ability to learn various technology systems.
- Completion of background screening and Safesport.
- Preferred past Nordic race experience at a collegiate level.
- Physical ability to ski, run, rollerski, lift up to 50lbs, withstand seasonal elements including snow, wind, and extreme cold.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Treat all staff and community members with respect and foster a positive environment.
- Direct and lead the activities of the GNST Comp Team including but not limited to training plan preparation, conducting organized practices, race schedule planning and travel logistics, team uniform management, role of lead wax tech, and athlete communication.
- Administrative record keeping, department payroll, employee tracking and scheduling including expenditure and budget management.
- Assist and ability to lead the planning, management, and execution of events, local races, and fundraisers.
- Assist with marketing and administrative research.
- Managing the organization of and assisting the hiring for Chet Hope, Jets, Prep and Masters coaches, volunteers, and assistant coaches.
- Organize summer training programs for Comp and Prep, including occasional training camps.
- Assist with adult clinics and programs.
- Train, manage and evaluate youth program coaches in coordination with Lead Coaches. Conduct end of season evaluations and wrap up meetings with all GNST coaches.
- Manage GNST rentals process including planning, distributing, tracking, inventory, and reorder.
- Communicate at least weekly via email with parents and athletes about upcoming events and training.
- Manage online registration for all programs.
- Management of wax inventory for Comp and Prep.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings, IMD meetings, clinics, certifications, continuing education opportunities, etc.
- Enforce and maintain all health, safety and environmental rules, plus co-lead the safety and protocol meetings for employees.
- Ensure that the team van is properly maintained and equipped.
- Drive athletes in team van to regional races and JNQs while following van safety protocol.
Email resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to Jennie Bender at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Prior to a final offer, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, SafeSport certification and criminal background check.