JOB OPPORTUNITY: GENERAL MANAGER
The Kimberley Nordic Club (KNC) is seeking a General Manager with the vision, motivation and collaborative spirit to assist in overseeing and further developing our thriving Nordic community.
The General Manager will work with KNC staff and our community of volunteers to ensure operations at KNC are efficient and aligned with the club’s mission, vision and values. We seek a candidate with strong leadership skills and one who will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to achieve the strategic goals of KNC.
About the Kimberley Nordic Club
KNC is a registered not-for-profit, full-service ski club whose goal is to foster Nordic skiing as an affordable, life-long winter activity. KNC is a premiere cross-country ski venue in the Kootenays, with 32km of varied trails and a consistently long ski season (average of five months). KNC is one of the largest Nordic clubs in Canada, and is situated within city limits. With approximately 1900 members during the 2021/22 ski season, KNC has the highest per capita membership of any city in Canada. The Kimberley Nordic Club is entering into an exciting period of growth and strategic planning. The General Manager will be an integral part of this work, collaborating with members, volunteers, staff, and the Board of Directors.
Kimberley is a welcoming community situated on the slopes of the Purcell Mountains in an area with the most sunshine hours in British Columbia (BC) and year-round recreational opportunities. The city is one of the fastest growing in BC that also offers an affordable cost of living. Because of these attributes, Kimberley was recently voted the best small town in BC (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/kimberley-best-small-town-bc-winner-1.6434796).
Roles and Responsibilities
The General Manager will report directly to and work in collaboration with the KNC Board of Directors. Roles and responsibilities include:
- Working with the Board to develop and implement club policies, procedures and strategic plans.
- Providing reports and recommendations at Board meetings
- Managing day-to-day operations of the club, including overseeing staff, implementing grooming schedules, and maintaining facilities.
- Assisting with the development and management of club and program-specific budgets.
- Overseeing and collaborating with program coordinators to develop and administer Nordic skiing programs (Jack Rabbits, Track Attack, Junior Racers, and Adult ski programs).
- Coordinate facility use for races, special events, and off-season activities.
- Ensure consistent communication with the KNC membership via email, maintenance of the KNC website, social media, media releases, and events calendar.
- Act as the “face of the club” by professionally representing KNC, fielding complaints, and responding to incidents.
The detailed job profile is available here.
- Demonstrated management experience that includes supervision, administration, and project management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, high ethical work standards, and proven ability to work in a team environment
- Experience developing and writing successful proposals and grants
- Experience developing and implementing organizational budgets and subsequent financial tracking
- Proficient computer skills (website development and maintenance, Zone4 registration system, database management)
- Operational, managerial, and/or administrative experience at a Nordic centre (preferred) or other recreational facility
- Experience working within not-for-profit organizations
- Knowledge of Nordic skiing programs and youth development
This is a full-time position (~1600 hours annually) with the number of hours worked per week varying seasonally (35 hours/week October to April; ≤30 hours/week May to September). This position offers a competitive compensation package, with an annual salary range of $55,000–$65,000 inclusive of benefits, based on experience and abilities.
The position is open to Canadian residents only. A cover letter (2000 words maximum) demonstrating your suitability for the position should accompany your resume, along with three professional references. These documents will be accepted until midnight MDT July 8, 2022. For more information and/or to submit your application documents, please email email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted.