Glacier Nordic Club (GNC) is based out of Whitefish, Montana. Named one of the “Top 25 Ski Towns in the World” by National Geographic, Whitefish is located on the shores of Whitefish Lake and at the base of Big Mountain-home to Whitefish Mountain Resort.
A short jaunt to Glacier National Park, Whitefish is a year-round outdoor destination. Glacier Nordic Club operations include rentals and lessons at the Glacier Nordic Center, winter grooming at multiple locations, and education for ages 4-18 plus adults through the Glacier Nordic Ski Team (GNST). In the 2021-2022 season, GNC youth enrollment in GNST programs exceeded 250 participants.
Position: Head Comp Team Coach
Employment Terms: Full-time, October 2022 to April 2023, with potential for year-round position.
Position Summary: Provide coaching, organization, and leadership for the Glacier Nordic Club Comp Team, for ages 14-18.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, Abilities, and Background:
- Passion around the mission of GNC and GNST.
- Hold and maintain a USSA Level 100 or higher Coach certification.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Strong managerial, administrative, and organizational skills.
- Strong work ethic.
- Proven ability to plan, facilitate, and adapt in your work structure.
- Comprehensive knowledge in Nordic waxing and equipment.
- Comprehensive knowledge in Nordic training and technique.
- Computer competency in Microsoft Office, with ability to learn other systems.
- Maintain a drug, tobacco and alcohol free environment at work.
- Completion of background screening and Safesport.
- Prefer past Nordic race experience at a collegiate level.
- Physical ability to ski, run, rollerski, and lift up to 50lbs if needed.
- Proven ability to innovate, design, and implement new programs.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- NOTE: This role involves strenuous outdoor activities requiring an appropriate level of fitness and an ability to withstand seasonal elements including snow, wind, and extreme cold. Additionally, these activities may require standing for long periods of time, bending, squatting, lifting overhead, and walking on snow and ice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Treat all staff and community members with respect and foster a positive environment.
- Direct and lead the activities of the Glacier Nordic Ski Team (GNST) Comp Team including but not limited to training plan preparation, leading organized practices, race schedule planning and travel logistics, team uniform management, role of lead wax tech, and athlete communication.
- Organize and lead team building events and the fall/early winter ski camp.
- Communicate at least weekly via email with parents and athletes about upcoming events and training.
- Administrative record keeping such as roster updates and athlete health records.
- Management of wax inventory for Comp and Prep, re-order within budget when needed, and wax room upkeep.
- Organize and assist with athlete rental equipment. This includes assisting the coaching staff with program wide fall rental distribution and management and spring return and waxing.
- Ability to plan and execute race weekends. Coach will work within trip budget, book housing, calculate travel costs, collect payment and track expenditures, organize food, plan training schedule and travel logistics, and communicate with parents.
- Orchestrate and track athlete FIS, USSA and IMD license numbers, and lead race sign up with proper communication.
- Drive athletes in team van to regional races and JNQs while following van safety protocol.
- Assist with the planning, management, and execution of local events, local races, and GNST fundraisers.
- Lead, educate, and appreciate assistant coaches.
- If applicable, organize summer training programs for Comp and Prep, including occasional training camps.
- Assist with adult clinics and programs, with ability to Lead.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings, IMD meetings, clinics, certifications, continuing education opportunities, etc.
- Enforce and maintain all health, safety, and environmental rules.
- Ensure that the team van is properly maintained and equipped.
- All other duties as assigned.
To apply, please send resume and contact information to email@example.com