Engadin Ski Marathon – Bjorn Daehlie only 1.08 minute behind 50K World
Engadin Ski Marathon was held March 9. The race is 42 km and goes in free technique.
The Swiss race had 12.400 starters. Bjorn Daehlie was in the group that pushed
the pace but he ran out of gas at the end.
It's however no doubt that Bjorn is still working out and is in very good shape.
He was the 3rd best Norwegian and in the lead group until the last 5K – even
leading and pushing the pace at several occasions, along with 2003 Val de Fiemme
50K World Champion Martin Koukal. His time was 1.29.08 which puts him only 1.08
minute behind the winner and 1.06 behind the World Champion.
"I was in the lead group feeling good and even leading but lost a little
at the end – but it's better to be in the main group than for a while than not
be there at all" – commented Daehlie.
Bjorn has spent the last several weeks at the World Championships and other
large European events promoting his clothing line: Bjorn Daehlie Clothing as
well as ODLO.
Bjorn is neither confirming or denying that he wants to step up his racing
next year. Look out if he is!
1. Mächler Patrick SUI 1:28.00
2. Koukal Martin Czec 1:28.02
3. Gutierrez Juan Jesus SPA 1:28.03
4. Pozzi Maurizio ITA 1:28.08
5. Kostner Norman SUI 1:28.16
6. Schwienbacher Reinhold GER 1:28.21
7. Bundi Gion-Andrea ITA 1:28.23
8. Zanetel Gianantonio ITA 1:28.27
9. Urain Gerhard AUT 1:28.27
10. Diethart Roland AUT 1:28.28
40. Daehlie Bjoern NOR 1:29.08
53. Aukland Joergen NOR 1:29.55 – Overall World loppet Champion 2003
105. Svärd Oscar SWE 1:33.37