The Second Annual Sun Valley Nordic Festival will take place January 29-February 6, 2011. The festival features 9 days of activities, races, clinics and fun events along with a discounted, 9-day valley-wide Nordic trail pass, $13,000 prize money, discounts on demos/rentals, lodging and dining which showcase and celebrate Sun Valley’s well-deserved reputation as “Nordic Town USA”.
Highlights of the festival include:
- Ski the Rails & Hailey Music Celebration– a family-friendly “ski at your own pace” tour along the Wood River Trail.
- Regional Snowshoe Qualifier for the 2011 National Championships – at the Sun Valley Nordic Center.
- Galena & The Trails Winter Benefit – A celebration and fundraiser for one of the communities gems, “Galena Lodge” and the vast trail system managed by the BCRD near the lodge in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area
- Ketchum Night Sprint Relay & Music Celebration – a celebration of all things Nordic featuring live music, sprint races with cash prizes, ice sculptures, warm food and beverages, bonfires, and the 2nd Annual World Snowshoe Dance Competition.
- 200K Trails Challenge – a non-competitive challenge to ski the area’s world class trails.
- Sun Valley Twilight Ski and Fireside Social – at the Sun Valley Nordic Center.
- Swix Boulder Mountain Tour – The festival culminates with the renowned race with over 800 participants on the beautiful 32K course on the North Valley Trails with prize money over $11,000. The Half Boulder Race will also be offered for a racer who want a little less of a challenge, and offers a special Parent/Child Combo entry fee.
- Demo Days – at the Sun Valley Nordic Center with staff and industry representatives with information, product testing and demonstrations on the newest technology.
- Other great activities include: Nordic Hall of Fame Brunch at the Ketchum/Sun Valley Ski & Heritage Museum, Banff Mountain Film Festival, Galena Training and Boulder Mountain Prep Clinic, Backcountry Film Festival in Hailey, Snowshoe Walks, Nordic Event Speakers at the Community Library, a ski/dining experience at Alturas Lake and Smiley Creek and more. www.SVNordicFestival.com.
Sun Valley has a well-deserved reputation for world-class alpine skiing, but is also making a name as “Nordic Town USA” with the best Nordic ski terrain in the US. In fact, it’s so good; members of the Norwegian Olympic Nordic Ski Team come to the valley to train. Sun Valley has plenty to offer Nordic skiers and winter recreationalists of all ages and abilities, from over 200 kilometers of groomed trails and one of the country’s premier Nordic ski races, unmatched snow and weather conditions, and a vibrant community of Nordic skiers and sports enthusiasts, to plenty of other top-notch yet affordable recreational and cultural diversions. For all the cool deals on lodging, dining, and activities, please visit www.SVNordicFestival.com.