21-year-old Katherine Stewart Jones made her World Cup debut for Cross Country Canada last season, first in Europe and then in the Ski Tour Canada. The Nakkertok Nordic racer, now based at the NDC in Thunder Bay and taking courses at Lakehead University, then went on to pick up three bronze medals at Canadian National Championships in the senior division.
That’s coming off a junior career where she had two top-20 finishes at 2015 World Junior Championships.
1. Biggest change in your life in the last five or so months since the ski season ended?
Not having too much change this year has been a huge positive.
2. Biggest change in your training?
An increase in volume of about 100 hours and a lot more focus on double-pole.
3. Major areas of improvement you’ve seen so far?
My overall fitness in general
4. Whom you’ve been working closest with this offseason (coaches or training partners)?
I have continued to work with my coach Timo Puiras, my team’s new assistant coach Tim Wintoniw and my strength coach Paul Hemsworth. It has been great to be able to work with such a big group of girls this year. With 6 girls on my team there is always someone to train with.
5. Best trip in the last five months (and why)?
Park City. I loved the variety it provided for training, the endless roads and running trails kept things interesting!
6. Favorite cross-training?
Hiking! I love trail running/hiking and climbing mountain peaks
7. Favorite non-athletic activity or pastime this summer?
I love adventuring in general, camping, cliff/bridge jumping, discovering new places
8. Song that was your jam this summer?
Love on The Brain- Rihanna
9. All time favorite race moment?
The Gatineau World Cup at the ski tour Canada. Racing in front of the home crowd on home soil was an unreal experience. It made me realize how lucky I am to have such a big support team behind me.
10. First thing you pack in your bag when you leave for Europe?
My earplugs, everyone who knows me knows how much I love sleeping.
11. Venue/event you’re most excited to visit this season?
Soldier Hollow! I rollerskied there this fall and the trails look like so much fun!!
12. Who will win the World Cup title this year?
Maiken Casperson Falla
13. Biggest sacrifice you feel you’ve made choosing this career path?
Honestly, I really haven’t sacrificed much. I am pretty lucky to be able to do what I do. The one thing I wish I could do more of without compromising my training is to go on long backpacking adventures, but that can wait until the end of my ski career!
14. If you could change one thing about your sport, what would it be?
To be more accessible to everyone financially… its an expensive sport
15. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
smoothie, toasted English muffin, fried egg
16. In 5 years, I’ll be ____?
skiing, sleeping, eating
17. In 50 years, I’ll be ____?
skiing, sleeping eating