Welcome to “17 Questions for 2017”, where we are catching up with American and Canadian national-team members before the beginning of the winter season.
The day after her 22nd birthday last March, Dahria Beatty made the case that she could be Cross Country Canada’s next star. Not only did she score her first World Cup top 30, but she nabbed a career-best 15th in a World Cup stage at home (her training base) in Canmore, Alberta.
Beatty, of the Alberta World Cup Academy and national U25 Team, was the only Canadian woman to qualify for the heats in the classic sprint that day, and she ended up third in her quarterfinal heat.
Now after an offseason of remedying some back troubles and building strength, Beatty says she looks like a different person when she’s double poling, and not just because she cut off her hair.
1. Biggest change in your life in the last five or so months since the ski season ended?
I cut off 9 inches of my hair, it’s really speeding me up
2. Biggest change in your training?
I started doing pilates and made adjustments to my technique with our technique coach Kathy.
3. Major areas of improvement you’ve seen so far?
I look like a different person when I’m double poling now!
4. Whom you’ve been working closest with this offseason (coaches or training partners)?
My teammates, Maya, Emily and I spent 3 weeks together in NZ. We helped coach each other while we were away.
5. Best trip in the last five months (and why)?
New Zealand, it was my first time to the southern hemisphere. Loved the skiing, loved the sheep, loved driving the twisty roads.
6. Favorite cross-training?
I got a new mountain bike from Icycle Sport this summer. I have rediscovered how awesome mountain biking is.
7. Favorite non-athletic activity or pastime this summer?
Surfing, aka falling off my board lots
8. Song that was your jam this summer?
My favourite jam is raspberry…. I can never remember the names of songs
9. All-time favorite race moment?
Racing my first World Cup sprint quarterfinal last spring in Canmore in front of my family and friends.
10. First thing you pack in your bag when you leave for Europe?
My travel pillow… sleep is the best
11. Venue/event you’re most excited to visit this season?
Drammen. I’ve always wanted to do a city sprint in Europe!
12. Who will win the men’s and women’s World Cup titles this year?
It would be nice to see some North Americans fighting for the titles, I’ll be cheering for Alex and Jessie.
13. Biggest sacrifice you feel you’ve made choosing this career path?
I had to give up on my dream of playing in the WNBA.
14. If you could change one thing about your sport, what would it be?
Have more WC races in North America
15. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
Eggs on toast with almond butter and fruit.
16. In 5 years, I’ll be ____?
27… Still racing and hopefully a lot closer to the top of the results list 😉
17. In 50 years, I’ll be ____?
27 backwards… An old lady, hopefully a grandma and still an avid skier.