The primary role of the U.S. Biathlon Team Assistant Coach is to support a professional training environment for U.S. Biathlon Team Senior, Development, and Junior team athletes training daily out of team headquarters in Lake Placid, NY.
The Assistant Coach will work closely with head coaching staff to understand and support the training goals of each athlete. Duties may include, but are not limited to: collecting data for feedback during and after training, designing details and logistics for quality training sessions, communicating with athletes, and providing motivation in a team environment for daily workouts.
This is a 6-month position (June 1st through November 30th) based in Lake Placid, New York. Experience coaching cross-country at a junior elite level or higher is required; the roles & responsibilities of this position could be extended for a candidate with more extensive elite coaching experience. Biathlon coaching experience is not required.
Responsibilities and Duties
● Reports to High Performance Director
● Collaborates closely with U.S. Biathlon Team coaches
● Coordinate and support quality training sessions during summer and autumn months
● Communicate with athletes and staff weekly on training logistics & goals
● Coach ski technique, strength training, and dry fire sessions with athletes, as appropriate
● Maintain shooting range training facility and testing supplies
● Daily on-the-ground decision making with athletes about training and providing daily training feedback
● Available for daily communication with athletes
● Organize transportation and schedule bookings with local venues for weekly training
● Training data entry, tracking, and analysis
Qualifications & Skills
The qualified candidate must have:
- Minimum 2-3 years coaching experience
- Competency in Microsoft Excel and managing datasets
- Passion for creating a positive & professional training environment
- Desire to communicate, support, and work with developing athletes
- Experience working in extremely goal-oriented and high-performing team environments
Prior experience coaching cross country athletes at a junior elite level or higher is preferred; biathlon coaching experience is not a prerequisite.
Minimum job requirements:
- – Valid passport and driver’s license from home country
- – Comfortable working in outdoor environment in all weather conditions
- – Must be able to begin position starting June 1, 2020
- – Full room & board at the Olympic & Paralympic Training Center in Lake Placid, NY will be provided
- – Compensation commensurate with experience
Please send your resume and a letter of interest to Lowell Bailey, High Performance Director, at
email@example.com by April 29, 2020.