The Boulder Nordic Junior Racing Team (BNJRT) is a team based in Boulder, CO which has been training 8-19 year old athletes for more than 38 years as part of the USSA Rocky Mountain West division. With an average of 45 athletes per season, BNJRT is focused on providing an environment that fosters a lifelong love for the sport of Nordic skiing. Many athletes have the opportunity to compete at the national level while others view Nordic skiing as a great way to train for other sports. Either way, BNJRT prides itself on its “family” environment where support for all ages and abilities is encouraged to optimize the success of all athletes.
The primary responsibility of head coach will be for setting the overall training schedule for U16+ skiers and assisting with growth and development of skiers at the U14, U12, U10 levels as well as hiring, training, managing and supervising assistant coaches to run a successful Nordic ski program which both allows athletes the chance to compete at the highest levels and enjoy the sport. With the added responsibility of program manager to coordinate and supervise all aspects of our Nordic team.
- Contribute to a positive environment to foster a lifelong love for the sport of Nordic skiing
- Foster an inclusive and cohesive team dynamic among athletes and coaches
- Be an active learner, communicate well and motivate youth skiers
Team Organization & Management & Communications
- Report to the BNJRT Board of Directors at monthly board meetings
- Participate in budgeting process with Board, provide timely and accurate accounting of team-related expenses, and adhere to approved budget
- Manage online registration for season program and race weekends. This includes setting up registration forms, invoicing, confirming payment, communicating with registrants and coaches as needed and keeping rosters up to date.
- Responsible for internal and external marketing communications (to the press, website, team blog) in conjunction with parent volunteer
- Responsible for providing website updates, maintaining team blog and team training calendar
- Generate timely and excellent communications with skiers and their parents, including weekly emails regarding training location, schedule, and focus for each age group
- Responsible, in coordination with head devo coach for hiring, supervision, leadership, training, and oversight of the per diem coaching staff and implementation of training. Report per diem attendance to Board Treasurer for payment. Coordinate all coach passes and waivers for the season including races
- Help athletes set goals, review progress towards goals throughout the season and provide written feedback/report to parents
- Responsible for waxing equipment, ski team equipment and team rental gear
- Coordinate van needs and maintenance with parent volunteers plus coordinate van usage and drivers with coaches
- Coordinate team order night with BNS
- Assist with BNJRT fundraising and outreach events
- Responsible for U16+ athletes; work with head devo coach to oversee training for all age groups
- Participate in all Rocky Mountain Nordic Region monthly meetings
- Responsible for all aspects of JNQ race weekends including race entries, waxing, coaches, athlete management, transportation, hotel/lodging options, invoicing and collection
- Attend Junior Nationals as part of RMN staff
- Attend U.S. Nationals (depends on interest level of BNJRT skiers)
- Communicate with skiers and their parents, including weekly emails regarding training location, schedule and priorities for each age group
- Development and management of weekly, monthly, and annual training schedules and plans for all BNJRT athletes, including use of Training Peaks or other training software
- Responsible for supervision, leadership, training, and oversight of the coaching staff and implementation of training
- Coach skiers of all age groups with a technique focus – using extensive knowledge of classic and skate techniques with the ability to communicate technique to the athletes
- Facilitate any outside strength training as needed
- Conduct fall dry-land training sessions and the winter ski training sessions
Tentative team training schedule
- Winter – on snow, Dec. – Apr.
- Preseason – dryland, Sept. – Nov.
- Spring/summer – dryland, May – Aug. – compensation is in addition to contract payment
- Competitive race experience with extensive knowledge of classic and skate technique
- 3 or more years of coaching experience preferred
- Driver’s license – clean record; experience towing a trailer helpful
- CPR/First Aid
- Minimum Level 100 USSA Cross Country Certification
- Position: August – April
- Compensation DOE
Email resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Prior to a final offer, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal background check.
BNJRT offers equal treatment to all applicants. BNJRT prohibits discrimination, directly or indirectly, on the basis of race, gender, color, national origin, religion, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Any offer for this position will be conditioned upon drug screening, in accordance with Section 12-3-3, B.R.C. 1981