HEAD COACH JOB DESCRIPTION
Work Dates: Year-round
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports To: Momentum Northwest Board President
Momentum NW is ready to welcome a new Head Coach to help develop the Puget Sound’s premier youth cross country ski program. The Head Coach role is the keystone in our coaching community to help grow, inspire, teach, and support our young athletes as they achieve their goals in the sport of Nordic ski racing.
Our Head Coach is a core member of our leadership team and is the lead staff member responsible for building the Momentum NW program – performing both coaching and administrative functions to build a high-quality, sustainable program that engages and challenges youth in the Puget Sound region. The Head Coach also actively works with our Board and parent volunteer committees, and serves as the communications point person at local, regional, and national levels.
Located in the greater Seattle area, Momentum NW enjoys a year-round bounty of options for on and off-snow training. From the soaring alpine beauty of the Cascade Range, and our home trails in the Snoqualmie Pass, to an incredible diversity of training venues for every season.
At Momentum NW, we are more than a collection of skiers – we are a passionate community committed to our love of our kids, our sport, and our values. Will you join us?
Momentum NW is a vibrant and growing youth cross country ski program based in the Puget Sound. We serve a diverse fellowship of aspiring racers to pursue their dreams and to build in them the skills, passion, character, and grit that are the hallmarks of the cross-country ski community.
Ski-season practices are held at Snoqualmie Pass, primarily at the Cabin Creek ski trail system, managed by the Kongsberger Ski Club (http://www.kongsbergers.org). During the early and late-seasons, and in years with poor snow conditions, practices may be held at alternate ski trails or venues.
Momentum NW competes in plentiful regional ski events to develop and mature our athletes as they continue along their individual journeys as skiers and racers.
Off-season and “dry land” practices may be held at a variety of in-city and trail locations around Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, and Mercer Island. Momentum NW takes advantage of a wealth of roads and parks identified by the team as safe and appropriate for roller-skiing and makes great use of the abundance of hiking trails in the Cascades I-90 corridor. Our spring and summer program offerings include Momentum-sponsored local Nordic skills camps, regional Nordic camps, and non-camp programs that are as diverse as the Head Coach is creative.
Our Head Coach
The Head Coach sets goals, develops coaching programs, collaborates with other teams, coordinates volunteer coach training across the program to ensure proper skills development in the junior programs, and serves as lead coach for the competitive (Comp) group of skiers.
In addition to coaching, the Head Coach actively works with members of the Board and parent volunteer committees to build the Momentum NW community and advance its goals and serves as the communications point person at the community, regional and national level.
Experience / Requirements
- Must be at least 25 years of age.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and be willing and able to transport skiers in a team van.
- Must obtain and maintain US Ski and Snowboard Coach Certification at a minimum of Level 100.
- Must be skilled in skate and Classic techniques and be able to demonstrate those skills.
- Must be able to assess the techniques of skiers and aid them in improving their technique.
- Must be organized, able to adapt to changing situations and be able to maintain composure and professionalism in varying, often uncomfortable situations.
- Must have strong communication skills, motivational skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to stand on skis for extended periods, run, reach, walk, bend and stoop.
- Must be able to ascend and descend terrain and navigate uneven and or slippery terrain on skis.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to perform in cold temperatures, at times below 0°F.
- Compensation range is from $60,000 to $65,000 annually, depending on the scope of responsibility.
- Full reimbursement annually for US Ski & Snowboard membership and SafeSport certification expenses.
- Full reimbursement for pre-approved training, including lodging and mileage. It is expected that every effort will be taken to minimize/share costs with other coaches or team families when possible.
- Momentum may offer additional benefits, to be determined annually by the President of the Momentum Board.
If interested, please contact: