The Caledonia Nordic Ski Club is seeking a highly motivated and skilled coach available for full time year-around employment effective Fall 2022. The position will lead and / or oversee programming from the Learning to Train through to Training to Win phases of athlete development. This position offers an annually renewable contract with a fair compensation package, including full benefits, phone plan coverage, and support to ensure a balanced work schedule. Compensation range is between $55,000 and $62,000 annually and is based on experience, abilities, and coaching certifications.
Caledonia Nordic Ski Club (CNSC) is an organization of 2800 members in Prince George, British Columbia and has a large enrolment in skier development programs. Club athletes compete in both cross country and biathlon regional, provincial, and national competitions. They have also represented Canada at high-level events such as the World Youth Junior Championships. As the Head Coach, you will lead club coaches in the implementation of the Cross Country and Biathlon Long-Term Athlete Development Models (“LTAD”) through program development, support and involvement. Our club mandate is to provide programming for the continual improvement of skiers and biathletes from introduction to national excellence, for all ages and abilities.
The Head Coach will report directly to the General Manager, overseeing the training of club coaches and CNSC Cross Country Program, and supporting the Biathlon Head Coach and Biathlon Program. The Head Coach will work under the guidance of the Program Directors, Programs Committee, and the General Manager. This individual will work alongside the SDP Coordinator who performs much of the administrative duties. The Head Coach will be expected to attend regularly scheduled meetings of the Programs Committee as well as staff meetings when not in conflict with other work duties.
The Head Coach will have primary responsibility for direct delivery of the training and development of coaches, of athlete training of the Cross Country Program, and assist in the delivery of athlete training alongside the Biathlon Head Coach.
Please provide your resume along with three professional references to email@example.com. The application deadline has been extended to will be accepted until midnight on Friday, September 30th, 2022.
For more information, please contact Dennis Balogh (CNSC General Manager) at 250-564-3809, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Act as part of a team to oversee program delivery to all levels of skiers in our Development Programs (Track Attack, Biathlon Bears, XC/Biathlon Race Team Programs).
- Direct delivery of coaching to athletes in the Training to Train (12-15), Learning to Compete (15-19) and Competition Development levels in cross country and biathlon programs.
- Coordinate training, create annual and monthly training plans for XC/Biathlon Race Team athletes, and communicate clearly and regularly with parents, coaches and athletes in these programs.
- Meet Sport Canada, Biathlon Canada, and Nordiq Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) standards at all levels within the scope of the contract.
- Work with the Program Directors, Program Committee, and the SDP/Biathlon Coordinators to ensure that club programs meet the needs of all participants to keep them engaged in the sport regardless of their ski goals or abilities.
- Communicate with Northern Sport School (Engage Sport North) Leaders to ensure proper training plans are developed for Sport School Athletes.Coach Engagement and Development
- Develop overall coaching plans and ensure coach recruitment
- Work within the 2022-23 Programs Plan with Program Coach Leads to develop season plans for theathletes, development plans for the coaches and overall vision for the year
- Work with SDP/Biathlon Coordinators to ensure that coaching capacity within the Club meets the needs of all athletes
- Work with SDP/Biathlon Coordinators to ensure that appropriate and age-specific child/coach ratios are in place for all program levels. This includes assisting the Programs Committee in coach recruitment.
- Ensure that BiBC and CCBC’s LTAD minimum coaching standards are met for all program levels by arranging formal coach training courses with the assistance of the Biathlon Coordinator, SDP Coordinator, and General Manager.
- Deliver dryland and on-snow mentorship sessions for coaches
- Foster advanced coach training and development within the club by encouraging participation in provincial coach training and development opportunities. Follow coach development and meet with coaches to discuss path options in their development
The Head Coach may be assigned non-coaching related operational duties by the General Manager when required if it is not in conflict with the delivery of scheduled Programs. The General Manager and Head Coach will develop a work schedule and deliverables that reflect this reality.
- Implement a personal development plan to reach certification for NCCP Competition Coaching development for Train to Compete (Cross Country) and Competition Development (Biathlon)
- Participate in Regional and Provincial Training Camps for Cross Country to increase coaching knowledge and support club athletes at the Regional and Provincial level as much as possible.
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrates an ability to work as part of a dynamic team in a team environment with athletes, parents, coaches, Programs Committee, the GM and CNSC staff
- Demonstrates exceptional planning and organizational skills, superb communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates leadership skills, the ability to lead and motivate staff and coaches
- Minimum NCCP certification level of Competition Coaching Development for Learning to Compete (Cross Country), or be capable of reaching this level within two years, plus high-level waxing and ski prep skills/experience.
- Skills in basic computer applications such as MS Office, Training Peaks, Slack, and Google Office Suite.
For more information on the club and the community, please feel free to check out our website and the following links. We encourage all interested applicants to contact Dennis Balogh (General Manager) with any questions with respect to the position.
General Manager Caledonia Nordic Ski Club