General Manager, Oak Hill Outdoor Center
The Oak Hill Outdoor Center is a community recreation center managed by the Friends of Oak Hill, a non-profit organization that supports year-round recreation in the Upper Valley. The Center is supported by donations from community members and friends of the Center, Dartmouth College, and revenue from the sale of trail passes and memberships. In winter, the Center grooms over 25 kilometers of cross-country ski trails, rents equipment, and hosts both the Dartmouth Nordic Ski Team and the Ford Sayre Ski Club. The Center is designing and installing 3 kilometers of snowmaking equipment which will be operational for the 2023-2024 season. The Center seeks an experienced leader to manage operations, including snowmaking and grooming, and to launch the Center as an integral part of the Upper Valley community.
The Oak Hill Outdoor Center General Manager will be responsible for the safe and efficient operation and coordination of the Center, including snowmaking, grooming, marketing and general administration. The Board expects this to be a full-time position from October-April, and part-time from May-September, but would consider modifying the schedule for the right candidate. The position reports to the Board of Directors of the Friends of Oak Hill.
The General Manager will be responsible for working with volunteers to manage and maintain the Nordic facilities and trail system. They will be responsible for ensuring that the Nordic area infrastructure and resources are ready to successfully operate daily. They will ensure that all interactions with our guests are held to the highest service standards. They are a team player who leads by example in the performance of all duties.
- Manages snowmaking and grooming operations to ensure high quality skiing conditions throughout the ski season.
- Coordinates and trains part-time staff and volunteers to operate snowmaking equipment
- Coordinates and trains part-time staff and volunteers to operate grooming equipment
- Manages the maintenance of snowmaking and grooming equipment
- Manages off-season mowing and trail maintenance.
- Sets work and grooming schedules and evaluates job performance of part-time employees and volunteers, as needed.
- Plans and manages the purchasing of equipment, spare parts, and other supplies to ensure smooth operations.
- Manages ski rental operations, including volunteers and/or part-time staff, and the purchasing and maintenance of equipment.
- Coordinates events with Dartmouth College, the Ford Sayre Ski Club, and other organizations.
- Manages the relationship with the Dartmouth Ski Team and ensure proper conditions for training and race events
- Manages the relationship with the Ford Sayre Ski Club and school teams to ensure strong community relations
- Coordinates schedules to avoid conflicts
- Manages relationships with other organizations that may want to use facilities, e.g. mountain-biking, trail running, etc.
- Works with the Board of Directors to develop and promote the Oak Hill Outdoor Center programs and services, in- and off-season.
- Maintains compliance with the annual budget, as established by the Board of Directors, and works with the Board to develop future budgets.
- Develops policies and procedures for managing the Center operations.
- Recommends staffing needs: hires, trains and supervises staff, with an emphasis on customer service.
- Maintains positive relationships with the Town of Hanover, Dartmouth College, Hanover Improvement Society, community users, school officials and others as needed to create a welcoming community atmosphere.
- Responsible for risk management and monitoring to ensure safe operation.
- Responsible for maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements, permits, safety and health requirements (OSHA, etc.)
- Experience with outdoor recreational operations, or similar, and should have facility with mechanical systems.
- Experience with snowmaking and grooming operations highly preferred, or a willingness and ability to learn.
- Must be able to support the Dartmouth and Ford Sayre Ski team needs, be able to work with a diverse group of people and organizations.
- Experience managing staff (preferably including volunteers).
- Ability to support basic IT systems, including website, point-of-sale, and customer relationship systems, daily updates of weather, trail conditions, etc.
- Fundraising and marketing experience a plus.
- Ability to work with the Board of Directors to establish long-term plans, budgets and fundraising activities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required, along with a demonstrated ability to maintain a welcoming and positive relationship with all stakeholders.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma
- 3-5 years of outdoor recreation management; cross-country ski center management highly preferred but not required.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation and benefits commensurate with experience.