February 17, 2011 – The Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS) announced the 12 recipients of the WISE Fund grants, each valued at $900. The Women in Sport Encouragement (WISE) Fund was created to help finance sport initiatives and assist members of the sport community in Canada. The annual grant is primarily to support women leaders develop and organizations that are currently offering or creating sport programs targeted to girls and women.
“CAAWS is pleased to support the WISE Fund grant recipients and recognize their efforts in developing their own leadership skills as coaches or officials, and in offering sport programs that will give girls and women an opportunity to be actively engaged,“ said CAAWS Executive Director, Karin Lofstrom.
The 2011 WISE Fund marks the eighth time CAAWS has offered the grant program. Since the program’s inception in 2004, CAAWS has now supported 92 individuals and organizations, dispersing over $82,800 to members of the sport community.
This year’s recipients include seven organizations, four coaches and one official. The following have been selected:
2011 WISE Fund Recipients
– Cowichan Storm Women’s Lacrosse – Cowichan Valley, BC (Supported by Canadian Lacrosse Association)
– Muskoka Girls Hockey Association – The District of Muskoka, ON (Supported by Hockey Canada)
– Ottawa Carleton Wheelchair Sports Association – Ottawa, ON (Supported by Wheelchair Basketball Canada)
– Cyclo Bellas – Calgary, AB (Supported by Canadian Cycling Association)
– Metepenagiag First Nation Recreation and Sport Committee – Red Bank, NB (Supported by Aboriginal Sport Circle)
– South Niagara Rowing Club – Welland, ON (Supported by Rowing Canada)
– L’Échappée Belle – Montreal, QC (Supported by Canadian Cycling Association)
– Joy Ang – Toronto, ON (Supported by Karate Canada)
– Candace Bloomquist – Saskatoon, SK (Supported by Football Canada )
– Vanessa Bonk – Regina, SK (Supported by Biathlon Canada)
– Katrina Couch – Whitehorse, YT (Supported by Canada Snowboard)
– Andrea Valois – Hamilton, ON (Supported by Rowing Canada)
For detailed bios of the grant recipients, please visit the CAAWS website HERE.
Released by CAAWS