Please note: with the current global pandemic and its unknown impact on our programs, the details of this position are somewhat speculative.
The Craftsbury Outdoor Center is seeking an assistant coach/intern to work with its Junior & BKL Nordic skiing programs for the summer of 2020, with the potential to continue the position through the following fall and winter season. This coach/intern would join the Center’s current coaching staff and help manage summer programming while our head junior coach takes maternity leave, then, pending staffing needs at the conclusion of the summer, possibly stay on through the winter to coach junior programs and provide race support at various levels.
Summer job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Running regular practices for various groups: summer programs serve ~60 participants ages 8-20, split into 2 BKL groups, 2 junior/high school groups, and one collegiate group.
- Helping develop practice plans for any given group; assisting with communication and program planning/organization
- Assisting in managing and maintaining equipment
- Coaching at and helping to organize camps
If extended to a year-long position, additional responsibilities would include:
- Running regular practices: winter programs serve ~200 kids ages 6-18, split into 8-9 groups.
- Traveling to regional races on weekends to provide ~25 juniors with race/wax support
- Potentially traveling nationally to SuperTours, etc., to provide higher level race/wax support
Requirements include the following:
- Experience cross country ski racing at a collegiate or equivalent/higher level
- Outstanding communication skills
- Ability to work with varied age groups and abilities
- Certification in (or willingness to obtain certification in) CPR/First Aid, SafeSport
- A high level of comfort rollerskiing and mountain biking
- Willingness to perform other tasks as needed
- Consistent availability on weekends; willingness to put in long days and busy weeks
The ideal candidate:
- Is highly knowledgeable and passionate about skiing
- Loves working with kids and has lots of energy and enthusiasm
- Has prior experience coaching or teaching
- Is organized and can maintain order in chaotic settings
- Can adapt on the fly to adjust for inclement weather and other unexpected obstacles
- Is capable of keeping up with speedy juniors on a variety of training expeditions
The summer portion of this position is expected to run from approximately June 1 – Aug. 31, with some flexibility on start and end dates; the fall/winter portion would run from approximately Sept. 1 – April 15. The position provides room and board as well as access to trails, the gym, and other facilities. Additional compensation is dependent upon experience and commitment. This position is not a training opportunity for those currently pursuing their own ski racing. It is an excellent opportunity for current or aspiring coaches to develop their skills and knowledge.
Applicants should send a brief cover letter and resume to head junior coach Anna Schulz, firstname.lastname@example.org, by April 5, 2020, and are encouraged to reach out with questions.