FasterSkier.com recently caught up with Beckie Scott for a few minutes.
Beckie started the season very well on the World Cup, but she got sick for a
while just before the holidays and we haven't heard much news since. She is
now in Europe preparing for the World Championships.
have you been training lately?
– We have been training in Pontresina, Switzerland (alt.1700m) and the conditions
have been great. Lots of sun, snow and strudel!
What have you been focusing on in your training the last three weeks?
– It has changed gradually in the last few weeks, but it started when I arrived
here with just adjusting to the time change and getting in some good volume
days. Now I am focusing much more on feeling fast in interval/intensity sessions
and making sure I am handling all the training really well.
Have you done any hard training the last couple weeks or are you resting
up for the World Championships?
– Yes! I have done a series of hard and medium-hard interval/intensity sessions
in the last weeks and will continue to put more focus on hard/shorter interval
sessions in order to fine-tune and "sharpen" up for the World Championships.
How familiar are you with the conditions in Italy – have you raced there
– The last time I raced in Val di Fiemme was about 6 years ago. I was 22 years
old and placed 8th in the 5k classic World Cup race there. It was my first top-10
result on the world cup and it also qualified me for the Nagano Olympics, so
I have fond memories of that place and I am really looking forward to going
Which races are you planning on focusing on at this championship?
– The 10k classic, the sprint and the pursuit.
Bente Skari has skied very fast this season – is it possible to beat her?
– In cross-country skiing right now, Bente Skari is about as close to a sure
thing as there is. One thing I can say is that it is a lot nicer to see her
winning than the she-males and juice-addicts! If she has weaknesses or if is
possible to beat her, that remains to be seen. Certainly she is the one everyone
will be aiming for at these World Championships.