Anchorage, Alaska – Today’s US National Championship individual sprint has been delayed due to cold temperatures. Qualification has been postponed to 2:00PM with the heats scheduled for tomorrow. The jury will meet again at 1:30 to determine if qualification can be held. Qualification was originally scheduled for 11:30, but with temperatures at -23.7 C (-10.6F), well below the legal limit of -20 C (-4 F), the start was postponed.
If qualification cannot be held today, the goal will be to run the entire event tomorrow, with qualification starting at 11:30. If qualification can happen today, heats are scheduled for 1:00PM tomorrow.
The forecast is for continued frigid temperatures. There has been no word on what will happen if it is too cold to race tomorrow. The first distance race is scheduled for Monday, with another off day on Tuesday, so Tuesday could be another option.
Kate Whitcomb (Fischer/Craft) reports that the course is in excellent condition. She is posting updates on her blog at http://in-the-arena-kate.blogspot.com/ including photos.