Last Chance For Spring Sweden Trip!

FasterSkierFebruary 12, 2009

The Spring Sweden Trip currently does not have enough people to make a go of it. Before we cancel the trip however we want to put out a little more information in case some have missed it. We know that times are hard and wages low…cost and timing are the main issues but if it comes together it will be an exceptional opportunity to race at a top international level. All races are on the FIS list.

The Sweden portion has come together most firmly. The first races are in the North, in Pitea. Two championships are rolled into one two day (“hunt” start …finish interval from previous day) pursuit. The Senior race is for the Intersport Cup and the Junior for the Vattenfall Cup. These are two of the Swedish National team’s major sponsors and the team will be well represented. We have good accommodations in the center of town. The first day’s races are short hard classic skis; 3.3 K for women and 5 for men followed the next day by 10 and 15 freestyles. Juniors race the same course at the same time. The organizers expect 400 racers.

The races in Finland are still a bit vague. We will make that decision a little closer to departure. If we do not race in Finland we will return to Solleftea-Ostersund-and Asarna for some touring and training. Spring skiing in Scandinavia can be pretty nice!

We arrive in Bruksvallarna near the border with Norway on the 13th and are quartered in the mountains and on the trails at the Walles Sport Hotell. The races there are a freestyle sprint on the 17th, a 26 km up the valley, to the top of a long ridgeline and then back into town on the 18th and on the 19th a fun downhill/ski cross combo. Last year Northug, Fredriksson, and Sodergren were all there. It attracts some of the top clubs from both Sweden and Norway. Departure on the 21sst from Ostersund.

Dates are 31-March – 21, April. We have three (two Canadian U23’s and a Canadian Jr.) right now, need six and can handle 8. Ground cost is $2300 (race entries are not included). Thanks to all for considering it, and to Fasterskier and NENSA for getting the word out. It will happen again if it doesn’t go this time.

Best for a great Spring whatever you do,

Pete Phillips
Head Nordic Coach
Burke Mountain Academy

Wouldn't it be nice....
Wouldn't it be nice....


Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply