SMS is continuing to offer a summer training program for our students. This year we are opening the program to a limited number of additional athletes. This is an ideal opportunity for college skiers without access to a summer training group and coaching.
Andy Newell will be around in June and August and SMS skiers will be here all summer. Our goal is to have a dedicated group of high school and college age skiers training together for the summer with additional elite skiers joining them for weekends and mini camps. We are also offering a summer development program for local skiers age 10-17. Once a week the elite skiers will be expected to spend 10-15 minutes working with the younger skiers before the workout. This interaction should benefit all ages.
Goals for the summer are to build an excellent aerobic base and work on technique and specific strength. Typically each week will include at least 1 skate, 1 classic and 1 ski walking/bounding workout. SMS is ideally situated for summer training with easy access to great roller skiing and miles of trails. The fully equipped SMS gym and weight room will be available to Elite athletes for strength training, lactate testing etc. Skiers should finish the summer prepared for great fall training.
The group will be led by Stratton Mountain School coaches Sverre Caldwell, Poppet Boswell and Matt Boobar. We also hope to have guest college coaches helping out on some of the weekends.
We will be offering Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday supervised training as well as mini camps every other weekend and a 3 day mid summer camp at Moosilauke Ravine Lodge.
We have free housing for 3-4 athletes which will be given to Elite team skiers who make a full commitment to the program.
We are scheduling the mini camps to help encourage an influx of athletes every two weeks. By getting a bunch of dedicated skiers together, everyone benefits. This allows those in school or with jobs, the ability to plug in and have the exposure to others who are training well. We will try to set up home stays with local athletes for our elite weekend athletes.
Dates: June 8th-August 22nd
Full Time Elite:
* Free housing will be available to highly qualified athletes.
* 3 supervised training sessions per week
* 4 two day mini camps
* 3 day camp at Moosilauke/White Mtns.
* cost for SMS and NENSA Elite Team skiers: $300. (includes room and board for Moosilauke camp)
* cost for others: $500. (includes Moosilauke).
Part Time Elite:
• Supervised Saturday training sessions
• 4 mini camps
• cost will be based on level and participation
• 12 supervised training sessions with coaches and Elite team
• cost $100
Our four day SMS Koch league and Junior camps in late August are open to all program participants. Contact Sverre for dates and costs or check out the SMS blog at www.smsxc.blogspot.com
This is the first year where we have officially opened our summer training. We are purposely not writing criteria which is set in stone because we do not know what the response is going to be. Our goal is to have a great group training here. We will help supervise and facilitate training for the group. We will pick the group based on what we think will be best for the athletes.
• Letters of application must be sent to: Sverre Caldwell, Stratton Mountain School, Stratton Mtn., VT 05155.
• Application deadline: May 15, 2009.
• Letter should include: Racer history, point profile and goals.
• Application must also include a letter of recommendation from your current coach.
Questions: contact Sverre Caldwell at firstname.lastname@example.org or (802) 856-1130.