NEW GLOUCESTER, Maine – The International Competition Committee of the U.S. Biathlon Association conducted a final review of results from the IBU Cup races in Altenberg, Germany this morning. As a result, the U.S Biathlon Association will forward the following list of athletes to the United States Olympic Committee.
Men’s Olympic Team Nominations:
1) Tim Burke, Paul Smith’s, NY- prequalification from 2008-2009 season (2 top 15 results at WC)
2) Jay Hakkinen, Kasilof, AK- prequalification from 2008-2009 season (2 top 15 results at WC)
3) Jeremy Teela, Park City, UT – qualification from Dec 2009 WC (1 top 30 at WC)
4) Lowell Bailey, Lake Placid, NY – overall points winner, Altenberg
5) Wynn Roberts, Battle Lake, MN – discretionary selection. Roberts was 2nd overall (behind Bailey) based on the Percent Back Points from the Altenberg races and lead the Trials races held in Minnesota in December.
The Women’ selection was more complex because of the cancellation of today’s Women’s Pursuit at Altenberg. Contingency “C” from the Olympic Team Selection Procedures was required and is stated below:
Contingencies: In the event one or more of the competitions in a series are cancelled the following will apply as appropriate to the situation:
a. If four races are held the best three of four will be scored.
b. If three races are held, the best two of three races will be scored.
c. If less than three races are held; the top American in each race, not already nominated to the respective team, will be nominated to the IBU Cup team or the Olympic team, respectively, and the ICC in accordance with the USBA Principles of Discretion (see Section II.B.), will determine the remaining nominations.
Contingency “c” requires winners of the two races (Time Trial and IBU Cup Sprint) to be nominated to the team, with the remaining athlete named by discretionary selection of the ICC.
Women’s Olympic Team Nominations:
1) Haley Johnson, Lake Placid, NY- qualification from Dec 2009 WC (1 top 30 result)
2) Sara Studebaker, Boise, ID- winner Time Trial, Altenberg, Germany
3) Lanny Barnes, Durango, CO- winner Sprint Event, Altenberg, Germany
4) Laura Spector, Lennox, MA- discretionary selection, Altenberg, Germany. Laura was ranked 2nd based on the Altenberg Percent Back points list.
Below is the Altenberg Percent Back points list:
The International Competition Committee would like to congratulate the nominees for the Olympic Team and wish them luck at the upcoming World Cup races in Rupholding, Germany and Antholz, Italy. Also, best wishes for the IBU Cup team athletes who will move on to racing at the IBU Cup in Nove Mesto, Czech, where the U-26 Team Selection process will continue.