It’s great to have a mid-winter break at home! Being in Alaska gives me a chance to sleep in my own bed, hang out with my husband, make sure my friends don’t forget who I am (!) and coach folks that I’ve been working with all spring, summer, and fall. Training for World Champs is priority number one but luckily I have some time leftover to participate in some community events. As an athlete, I’ve received a lot of support from my community and I love the opportunity to give back via sharing my experiences and knowledge. Heck, it always ends up being a lot of fun!
A bunch of these things have an option for Alaska-based folks to participate so please spread the word! Here is the quick list:
- Participating in Alaska Public Radio “Faces of Alaska” family genealogy project. Show will air 1/26 on KSKA and 1/27 & 1/29 on television
- Thursday evening, 1/27 I am giving a free informational talk about the Tour of Anchorage at REI. Come learn all my secrets – Tour fever is starting to spread throughout Anchorage!
- Saturday, 1/29 Kikkan and I are leading the third annual, Alaskan Fast and Female at Chugiak High School!
- Tuesday, February 1st Kikkan and I are the key note speakers for the Rotary event, “Pillars” at the downtown Sheraton. This is a luncheon for local high school students and tickets are available to the public as well.
- Saturday, February 5th I am offering TWO FREE SKATE SKIING CLINICS at Kincaid Park, compliments of one of my greatest sponsors, Rhyneer Clinic, Specialty Orthopedics. The clinic will feature both on-snow and inside sessions. I’ll talk about my experience at the Olympics, injury prevention, and how you can make the most of your own skiing. A clinic t-shirt and refreshments are included!