The Alberta World Cup Academy in Canmore, Alberta, recently posted a job listing for a “Senior Coach.” Program director Mike Cavaliere explained in an email that this is not a head coaching position and Chris Jeffries is not leaving. Rather, the Academy wants to add to its elite team with talented coaches looking to further enhance the program.
Job notice from the Academy website reads as follows:
ACADEMY JOB NOTICE: SENIOR COACH
The Alberta World Cup Academy is currently seeking to fill the fulltime position as Senior Coach. This position is designed to be part of a dynamic high performance team that is totally committed to developing and sustaining excellence in cross-country skiing.
The position: The Senior Coach is a coaching position that will deliver comprehensive technical leadership and coaching for Canada’s next generation of athletes, aspiring to compete at the World Cup level. The successful candidate will have extensive coaching and technical qualifications supplemented by strong communication, motivational and presentation skills, and effective organizational skills. This position requires extensive travel during the entire year to attend training camps and competitions.
The position is based at the National Development Centre in Canmore, Alberta. All of the team athletes live and train year round at this location.
This position reports directly to the Program Director
Term: Full-time position
General Responsibilities: These include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with the Coaching Team and other coaching staff to design, implement and monitor an annual training and competition plan for the AWCA;
- In coordination with the Integrated Support Team (IST), coordinate athlete support services including sport science, sport medicine, and technical support;
- Coaching and leading international and domestic competitive tours;
- Provide timely and effective communication to athletes and other coaches and members of the IST;
- Manage administrative tasks and accountability measures established to evaluate the program.
- Experience coaching at the international level with the proven ability to deliver and integrate the key components of the program: technique, physiology, tactics, psychology and health;
- Must be dedicated to high performance excellence through creative and innovative approaches to delivering training programs;
- Proven ability to motivate and gain the trust and confidence of high performance athletes;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational expertise;
- Ability to work as a team member and independent contributor;
- Proven skills in distance and sprint training.
Compensation for this position will be based on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Should you require more information about the AWCA and its programs please visit our website or contact the address below:
Applications should be in the form of a letter of application with CV and three references, submitted by e-mail to:
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Alex Kochon (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the former managing editor at FasterSkier. She spent seven years with FS from 2011-2018, and has been writing, editing, and skiing ever since. She's making a cameo in 2020.