Note: This is part of an occasional series of heart-healthy and fitness-ready recipes for skiers. Have a favorite recipe of your own? Share it with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nothing quite says fall like a warm serving of apples with a dollop of whipped cream, or if you’ve really had a good workout, ice cream. Here’s a simple recipe for apple crisp, with a little less sugar to keep you up at night and less butter than most recipes call for. Adapted from simplyrecipes.com.
- 7 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats (or more if you like)
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large mixing bowl, combine apples, lemon juice and vanilla. Toss to combine.
2. Coat 9 x 12-inch baking pan (or something similar in size) with a little canola or baking spray, then layer sliced apples in pan.
3. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and oatmeal in a bowl. Cut in the butter and use your hands to work it evenly through mixture. Sprinkle mixture over apples.
4. Bake 45 minutes or until topping looks crunchy and apples are tender.