A Thank You from NNF Executive Director, Dave Knoop
This year the Drive for 25 raised over $215k for Cross Country and Nordic Combined development programs. Every year our Nordic community says YES WE CAN and collectively we come together for our next generation of aspiring athletes. Most importantly the funding is working in terms of getting more athletes more opportunities to succeed at the various key development levels in our sport.
Looking back at some highlights of this year’s D25 and please forgive me if I overlooked something or someone as there are so many people to recognize and thank:
1. Having our generous key donors throw down large challenge matches that our community responds to with enthusiam. Without our key large donors, getting the ball rolling early on would be difficult to build momentum.
2. Watching Athlete and Coach Ambassador pages fill up and seeing the athletes make that ask. It appears our nordic athletes know how to get after fund raising just as well as competing on skis. Special thanks to Katharine Ogden (XC) and Ben Berend (NC) for leading the way this year and programs like Stratton Mountain School and Wasatch Junior Nordic Club show us how it’s done.
3. Seeing the leaders give back to our sport like athletes on the U.S. Ski Team become NNF fund raising Ambassadors. They are no longer funded by the NNF yet know how to give back to support the next generation of athletes. How ’bout the old timers like Marty Hall, John Caldwell, and Craig Ward to name a few, also making their contributions.
4. Our Nordic news media was huge in getting the word out and helping support this cause, i.e. SkiTrax, Skinnyski.com, SkiPost and Fasterskier.
5. Lastly Map Mondays, Perhaps the map says it all, so much fun to watch wow! Our traditionally strong states like Vermont, Alaska and Colorado were joined by Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York California, Washington and yes……. UTAH!
In the near future the NNF Board of Directors will allocate funding to our key Pillar Projects and we will report back to you as to what the NNF funded allocations are, where your money will directly support skiing.
Thank you as always for your generous support.
National Nordic Foundation
NNF Master’s Race
When: Saturday November 29, 12:00PM Start Time (approximate)
Where: Rendezvous Trails
Who: Open to all skiers – 5k Freestyle
Details: 15-second intervals
$15.00 per skier through 5pm, Friday, November 28
Online registration available with a small fee. Checks payable to WYSEF, WYSEF waiver required
Details of the race will be covered at the Friday 5:30 PM coaches meeting at Race Headquarters (Chamber Visitor Center)