Job Title: Media & Event Promotion Director (MPR)
Organization Summary: The American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated, as reflected in the Birkie Mission Statement, to hosting one of the world’s best cross country ski events, the American Birkebeiner, maintaining one of the nation’s premier recreation trails, and promoting healthy lifestyles for people of all ages.
Attributes: This position is responsible for all external communications, providing communications leadership and strategies, message and delivery management, content development and management, and education. The MPR must be self-motivated, outgoing, organized and structured. A passion for sport and a strong team player is critical.
• Work with Executive Director to develop key organization messages for stakeholder audiences.
• Manage communications delivery systems to convey messages to key audiences including electronic and printed materials
• Manage company advocacy programs (like Skiers for Cures)
• Manage and develop innovative PR programs
• Work with employment team on survey development and feedback mechanisms.
• Promote collaboration with other events and organizations, community stakeholders
• In conjunction with leadership, develop content to convey Birkie messages to the entire Birkie community. Current content includes eNewsletters, company communiqués, general news release content and company web and social media content
• Develop standards for staff created content to convey Birkie messages to all audiences. • Oversee all content to ensure consistent messaging and delivery to key audiences
• Develop innovative communications delivery systems to continually evolve using the most modern, efficient and impactful systems
• Provide leadership, guidance and hands on support to all company staff in Web and social media content distribution
• Educate and support staff on Birkie messaging and delivery systems
• Writing – Develop impactful and targeted written communications content
• Data Management – Manage data for communications audiences and messages
• Content Distribution – Develop, manage and operate Innovative content distribution systems including Website, email, blogs and other means
• Work closely with Sponsorship team on collaborative projects
• Work closely with Development team on collaborative projects
• Work closely with Operations team on messaging and content distribution
• Web Management – Management of communications and content on website
• Planning – Assist department leadership in developing communication strategies
• Support – Provide general support in all areas as needed including at major Birkie events
• Oversee all media and related needs for Birkie events
• Develop and/or assist creation and production of ads, posters, and related promotional collateral, for use in print and online
Required Skills: The following skills are required for the position, with a strong, proven work background in all areas.
• Strong, proven writing background with a focus on message-oriented communications, including ability to both write and edit
• Background working in communications or other area with strong emphasis on audience and message management
• Self-sufficient, with ability to develop long-term strategies and manage projects to completion
• Business computer skills (Word, Excel, email, Web, etc.) with at least basic understanding of Web and graphic management applications (Basic HTML, WordPress, Photoshop, etc.)
• Background in use of Web as communications tool including understanding of social networking (Twitter, Facebook, etc.), media distribution (YouTube, etc.) and blogging
• Background working with Internet content management systems
• Background working with bulk email distribution systems
• Ability to educate other other staff, colleagues or peers
• Positive, upbeat presence with others, including both co-workers and outside contacts
Responsible to: The position reports directly to the Executive Director but will have strong interaction with other team members.
This job description outlines the primary roles and responsibilities include but not limited to the position. Other duties may be assigned.
Interested candidates should direct cover letter, resume, list of 3 references and at least 1 work example to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Birkie, P.O. Box 911, Hayward, WI 54843 by April 17th, 2015.