Welcome to “17 Questions for 2017″, where we are catching up with American and Canadian national-team members before the beginning of the winter season.
Last season, Sugar Bowl Academy’s Hannah Halvorsen snagged her first SuperTour podium – before heading back to the junior ranks to win a U18 race at U.S. National Championships, a title at Junior National Championships, and represent the United States at the Youth Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway.
The California cross-country skier also ended up with her first U.S. Ski Team nomination. Now 18 years old, Halvorsen has been making the most of her first training season without school.
1. Biggest change in your life in the last five or so months since the ski season ended?
The biggest change in my life since ski season ended has been adjusting to a slightly different lifestyle as a post graduate skier. I still train with Sugar Bowl Academy but now I don’t have to work around a school schedule.
2. Biggest change in your training?
This year not being in school has allowed me to drive down to low elevation training about twice a week.
3. Major areas of improvement you’ve seen so far?
I’ve been excited about my improvements in v1 technique and running foot speed.
4. Whom you’ve been working closest with this offseason (coaches or training partners)?
I have been working with the Sugar Bowl Academy skiers and coaches, and have also had the opportunity to train with TXC Coach Eliska Hajek Albrigtsen.
5. Best trip in the last five months (and why)?
I had the opportunity to train out in Stratton with the SMS team in August, which was a great opportunity to train at low elevation and be pushed by really fast skiers.
6. Favorite cross-training?
My favorite cross training is mountain biking.
7. Favorite non-athletic activity or pastime this summer?
This summer when I was resting I did a lot of painting, reading, and watching Seinfeld.
8. Song that was your jam this summer?
Love Yourself by Justin Bieber.
9. All time favorite race moment?
Racing in the Scando cup in Sweden two winters ago and realizing, “the training I’ve done is working really well!”
10. First thing you pack in your bag when you leave for Europe?
My stuffed animal Bunny.
11. Venue/event you’re most excited to visit this season?
I am excited to have a Super Tour in my own town this January at Auburn Ski Club.
12. Who will win the World Cup title this year?
13. Biggest sacrifice you feel you’ve made choosing this career path?
The biggest sacrifices I have made have been social. Instead of giving time to my friends and family, it often goes towards training or even simply resting so I am ready to train again.
14. If you could change one thing about your sport, what would it be?
I think it would be awesome if being a skier didn’t cost money.
15. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
Chocolate chip coconut granola.
16. In 5 years, I’ll be ____?
17. In 50 years, I’ll be ____?