The Craftsbury Outdoor Center is seeking a coaching intern to work with its Junior & BKL Nordic skiing programs for the summer of 2021. This coach/intern would join the Center’s current coaching staff and help manage summer programming.
Summer job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Running regular practices for various groups: summer programs serve ~60 participants ages 8-20, split into 2 BKL groups, 2 junior/high school groups, and one collegiate group.
- Helping develop practice plans for any given group; assisting with communication and program planning/organization
- Assisting in managing and maintaining equipment
- Coaching at and helping to organize camps
Requirements include the following:
- Experience cross country ski racing at a collegiate or equivalent/higher level
- Outstanding communication skills
- Ability to work with varied age groups and abilities
- Certification in (or willingness to obtain certification in) CPR/First Aid, SafeSport
- A high level of comfort rollerskiing and mountain biking
- Willingness to perform other tasks as needed
- Consistent availability on weekends; willingness to put in long days and busy weeks
The ideal candidate:
- Is highly knowledgeable and passionate about skiing
- Loves working with kids and has lots of energy and enthusiasm
- Is interested in coaching long-term
- Is organized and can maintain order in chaotic settings
- Can adapt on the fly to adjust for inclement weather and other unexpected obstacles
- Is capable of keeping up with speedy juniors on a variety of training expeditions
This position is expected to run from approximately June 1 – Aug. 31, with some flexibility on start and end dates. The position provides housing (though lodging accommodations may be rustic!), most meals, and a small weekly stipend, as well as access to trails, the gym, and other facilities. This position is not a training opportunity for those currently pursuing their own ski racing. It is an excellent opportunity for current or aspiring coaches to develop their skills and knowledge.
Applicants should send a brief cover letter and resume to coach Anna Schulz (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 20, 2021, and are encouraged to reach out with questions.