Under the supervision of the Head Coach, the purpose of this position is to use athletics as a tool to educate college students. By using inter-collegiate competition and all activities related to such competition, this position serves as a teacher and mentor to help build student character, prepare students for a constructive and effective life, and teach valuable life lessons including work ethic; discipline; resilience; persistence; teamwork and selflessness; goal-setting and goal achievement; overcoming adversity; and leadership. This position typically influences student-athletes for their entire four years at Harvard and plays a key role in shaping their personal development.
This position assists in planning, directing, and coaching the Mens/Womens inter-collegiate Nordic Skiing program. Typically works with all student-athletes in the program.
This position plays a key leadership role for the Nordic skiing program. Will fill in when the Head Coach is absent. May play a role as liaison with Athletics administrative departments. Requires experience coaching at the collegiate level or comparable experience, which may include coaching/teaching at the professional level. Comparable experience may include competing in a professional or other high-performance environment, such as for a national team or at the Olympic level.
This is a 75% of full-time position from September 1 – April 31 with a seasonal leave from May 1 – August 31.
1. Athlete Team Management
- Assists Head Coach in developing, coordinating, and planning practices and competition to develop student-athlete skills and helps the team perform at competitive levels.
- Develops, coordinates, and plans assigned portions of practices and competition management consistent with the Head Coach’s strategic vision.
- Analyzes video to scout opponents and develop strategies for team development.
- Executes a student-athlete talent recruitment plan and retention strategy consistent with values of excellence and inclusion.
- Effectively leads and communicates with students by generating enthusiasm for the team through credible coaching.
- Supports a culture of education through athletics. Assists in academic integration with the team.
2. Operational Complexity
- Assists in the development and execution of team strategy, logistics, and operational direction.
- Operates within budget.
- Maintains compliance with University, Ivy League, NCAA, and other rules and regulations.
- Coordinates with less-experienced coaches in implementing objectives.
- Participates in professional development activities; follows trends and embraces innovation opportunities.
- Assists head coach in problem resolution.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively with the Head Coach and athletics administrators.
3. Communication & Influence
- Assists Head Coach in maintaining and building viewership, and maintaining and creating positive media interest, consistent with the sport.
- Supports the Head Coach in influencing public interest where applicable.
Requires at least 2 years of coaching, professional or Olympic experience, or equivalent.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Requires substantial mastery of Nordic skiing knowledge and relevant issues.
- Understands the philosophy, principles, and policies of college athletics (including Conflict of Interest and Commitment policies).
- Requires moderate management and leadership knowledge.