Toby Creek Nordic Ski Club (TCNSC) is seeking a head coach to lead and oversee programming from the Learning to Train through to Learning to Compete phases of athlete development. Our head coach will share our passion for Nordic skiing and inspire, support, and provide leadership to all of our athletes, with a primary focus on coaching and developing our older teenage athletes. They will inspire and engage all athletes in a safe, fun, inclusive, and respectful environment. They will work collaboratively with the Skill Development Coordinator and the club’s Coaching Committee to assist in further developing our thriving Nordic community. This will involve effective communication with athletes, parents, and the club. Our head coach will be a leader and a motivated learner who can inspire our athletes in both personal and athletic development. They will ensure that opportunities are available for athletes with a range of levels of commitment from the dedicated recreational athlete to the ambitious high-performance athlete.
Toby Creek Nordic Ski Club utilizes top-level cross-country venues in the Kootenays, including Nipika Mountain Resort, Panorama Mountain Resort, and our picturesque local mountain lakes. Invermere is the home of the Whiteway, the world’s longest outdoor skating trail that also provides a cross country ski track around Lake Windermere. These facilities provide a variety of trails and conditions ideal for a variety of ski levels and skier development. Invermere is a welcoming community situated in the heart of the Columbia Valley, nestled in between the rugged Rocky Mountains and the slopes of the Purcell Mountains. It is a mecca for year-round recreational opportunities with world-class hiking and biking, two mountain ski resorts, fishing, boating, hot springs, lakes, and a variety of golf courses to explore and enjoy.
The TCNSC is a registered not-for-profit ski club with the goal of fostering Nordic skiing as an affordable, life-long winter activity. Toby Creek Nordic prioritizes fun, friends, trips, and swag. We are known for our incredible “Creeker” team spirit. With 670 members during the 2020/21 ski season, our club is a rapidly growing ski club and is entering an exciting period with the development of high-performance and driven athletes. The head coach will be an integral part of this progress, collaborating with members, volunteers, staff, and executive board.
TCNSC is looking for a coach who:
- ● is energetic, enthusiastic, and shares our passion for nordic skiing
- ● has recent experience coaching and working to inspire athletes
- ● has strong technical skills and/or understanding of cross-country skiing
- ● is a great team player and collaborator
- ● is committed to ongoing professional development (coaching, waxing, etc.), learning, andsharing their knowledge.
- ● communicates effectively with a variety of audiences
- ● is highly organized and experienced with financial budgeting and trackingThis is a part-time role with the majority of in-person coaching happening November to March.Please send us your resume and in a cover letter, 1500 words maximum, tell us how you are suitable for this position and why you are passionate about becoming our head coach and becoming a ‘Creeker’. Please use clear and concrete examples of how you meet the certification standards, experience, knowledge and abilities criteria listed in the statement of qualifications. Salary will range from $22,200 to $26,600 depending on experience. Salary to attend Nationals would be additional. Deadline for applications is 5 pm MDT on August 18, 2021. Submissions and questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can see the full advertisement here:
STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
This position requires a comprehensive technical and leadership skill set, which will be used to help grow TCNSC’s presence within our community and the interior region, and to continue to establish the club’s reputation of being a full-service Nordic ski club in Canada. The position will require travel, as well as working in the evenings and on weekends.
- ● National Coaching Certification Program LT2 trained, with preference to certification and T2T or L2C, with a willingness to become trained and certified at higher coaching levels.
- ● Valid Standard First Aid
- ● Clean Criminal Record & Vulnerable Sector ScreenExperience:
- ● Previous Head Coaching or Assistant Coaching experience
- ● Athlete monitoring and training plan implementation
- ● Providing wax and race support operations
- ● Planning and executing training camps
- ● Working with a budget and tracking expenses Knowledge and Abilities:
- ● Strong knowledge of cross-country skiing techniques
- ● Knowledge of waxing techniques
- ● Ability to communicate effectively using written documents and verbal communicationwith athletes, parents, volunteer coaches, and the nordic board
- ● Ability to work collaboratively and share knowledge with others
- ● Knowledge of MS Office Suite including MSWord, Excel, PowerPointPersonal Suitability:
- ● Enjoys interacting with young athletes, parents, and volunteer coaches
- ● Personally connects with people
- ● Open to personal development and skill progression