Red Deer Nordic (RDN) is seeking to hire a full time Head Coach to lead our winter programs through the 2021/22 season. RDN is the youth programs division of the Parkland Cross-Country ski club and is based in Red Deer, Alberta. A growing club of around 175 members, RDN currently offers programming from age 5 to age 18. Accountable to the Red Deer Nordic Executive Committee, the Head Coach is responsible for delivering the Learn to Train (L2T), Train to Train (T2T) and Learn to Compete (L2C) youth programs in alignment with Nordiq Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) model to 25-35 athletes aged 9-18.
Host City for the 2019 Canada Winter Games, Red Deer boasts an incredible winter sporting community with an extensive selection of local activities, amenities and pursuits in all seasons. In season, skiers have access to FIS-homologated competitive courses, 30 km of groomed Nordic trails, a 4-km lit ski network for night skiing, and excellent recreational venues ideal for on snow training, as well as dryland and roller skiing. A mid-sized city of 100,000 and serving a region of approximately 250,000, Red Deer is ideally situated near some of Canada’s premiere Nordic facilities and is midway between Calgary and Edmonton.
Ideally suited for an individual with a passion for working with young people, and contributing to their development through cross country skiing and outdoor sport, we are seeking an energetic and motivated leader with excellent communication skills for working with athletes and parents. By applying to this position, applicants are seeking to join a community of Nordic enthusiasts committed to working together to create a safe and fun environment where athletes can learn and grow through sport.
Coaching duties will include developing training plans for our Track Attack and RDN youth athletes, designing and leading training sessions, and coaching at fall and winter training camps. The successful candidate will work with our assistant volunteer coaches and attend regional, provincial and possibly national competitions. The head coach is also responsible for growing the sport of cross-country skiing within our community. The position includes coaching dryland sessions (October to start of snow season) and on snow training sessions to the end of March. The position will require travel, as well as working in the evenings and on weekends.
- Minimum Secondary (High) School Diploma
- Certified in both L2T and T2C, or in training with an estimated completion within 1 year
- Valid first aid certification
- Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check
- The ideal candidate will be a skier with coaching experience at the junior or senior racing level working with cross country skiers
- Previous coaching experience is required
- Coaches must be able to run, ski and roller ski with the athletes and demonstrate good technique in both classic and skate techniques
- Wax and race support experience
- Administration duties
- Strong athletic ability and base fitness in cross-country skiing
- Excellent communication skills
- Enjoys interacting with athletes, parents and public
- Highly organized
- Fun and energetic
- Conduct safe, fun and developmentally appropriate practices for Track Attack and RDN programs, with the support of volunteer coaches and parents
- Ensure a safe and inclusive sport environment for all involved
- Prepare and maintain a season training program for athlete groups (or individuals) aged 10-18
- Design and lead on-snow and dryland training sessions delivered on weekday evenings and weekends
- Communicate with the Red Deer Nordic Youth Committee and attend monthly meetings upon request
- Collaborate closely with assistant coaches to deliver fun and well-organized practices
- Communicate with athletes and families about schedules and upcoming events
- Coordinate and attend out of town races and camps
- Provide race support including participation in coach’s meetings, wax testing, ski preparation and race day coordination
- Design a summer training program for our L2C athletes to follow on their own accord
- Play a key leadership role and contribute to mentoring and supporting volunteer coaches delivering RDN’s Jackrabbits and Youth Learn to Ski Programs
- Liaise with Nordiq Alberta and other regional club coaches to maintain awareness of evolving matters affecting the delivery of programming
- Grow RDN’s profile within Central Alberta
- Represent RDN ethically and professionally when engaging with partners and the public, including on social media
Conditions of Employment:
This is a full time contract position beginning October 1, 2021 and ending March 31, 2022 and offers a competitive salary commensurate with previous experience. The successful candidate may be offered the opportunity for renewal of the contract at the conclusion of the season.
Red Deer Nordic is committed to the ongoing professional development of our coaches and will reimburse associated fees for certification and courses.
The head coach must maintain a clean criminal record during the term of their employment.
The work contracted under this agreement will be compensated at a flat rate of $3,150 per month upon receipt of invoices from the Contractor. Additional funds are available for the following:
- $1,000 per year will be available for travel to racing events related to coaching of RDN youth (in the form of gas, meals and lodging receipts), and for other reasonable operating costs that are in accordance with a pre-approved budget and directly related to carrying out these responsibilities.
How to Apply:
If interested in applying, please submit the following documents to Coreen Nelson, Red Deer Nordic Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a cover letter and resume, highlighting why you want to coach junior cross country skiers, your qualifications and what skills, experiences and background experiences you would bring to this position.
- Include two references including name and contact information (at least one ski related contact)
Deadline to apply: Midnight, August 23, 2021
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.