Fundraise to Help Cure Diabetes and Get an Entry to the 2013 Birkie or Korte!
If you are still interested in skiing the 2013 Birkie or Korte, but missed out on registering before registration closed on October 15, there are stil 16 “Second Chance” entries left.
On October 18, right after registration closed for the 2013 Birkie and Kortelopet races, we made the following announcement: “JDRF, the leading global organization focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D) research, is the Birkie’s new Skiers For Cures partner for the next three years. As a way to help kick-off this fundraising effort and help skiers who did not get a 2013 Birkie or Korte entry on time, JDRF and the Birkie have arranged to make 50 entries available through JDRF’s “Second Chance” program.”
We’re glad to hear that 34 skiers have already signed up for these entries! There are still 16 left.
Here’s how it works. Raise a minimum of just $500 for JDRF by November 30 and its research to cure diabetes and receive one of these remaining entries to the Birkie or Korte, your choice.
For Your “Second Chance” Entry
Choose the “Register Now” option.
Here are the details
- The first 50 people who sign-up for this “Second Chance” fundraising option will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis. Register online through the link above (16 of these 50 entries are still available).
- To register, each of these people will be required to make an initial, non-refundable deposit of $50.
- JDRF will send them their Birkie Entry Form as soon as they raise the minimum of $500. (Also see Additional JDRF Rewards, below!)
- When they register online for one of the 50 Second Chance entries, each person agrees that they are responsible for raising and/or donating $500 to JDRF by November 30th. They also agree that if they do not raise that amount by November 30, they have the option to simply pay the remainder. If they choose not to, JDRF will make that Second Chance entry available to someone else.
- The skier should complete, sign, and return the Birkie or Korte entry form to the Birkie office as soon as possible and by January 31 at the latest. Wave placement will be based on availability. Send entry to: ABSF, P.O. Box 911, Hayward, WI 54843
Your fundraising will also qualify you for these additional JDRF Rewards!
- Raise $150: Earn a Team JDRF cross-country ski hat
- Raise $250: Get an entry into the Norway trip drawing (prize includes entry for two people in 2014 Norwegian Birkebeiner, three nights lodging and air travel)
- Go the Distance: Be one of the Top Ten fundraisers and receive a complimentary 2014 American Birkebeiner registration.
For Your “Second Chance” Entry Choose the “Register Now” option
Alex Kochon (email@example.com) is the former managing editor at FasterSkier. She spent seven years with FS from 2011-2018, and has been writing, editing, and skiing ever since. She's making a cameo in 2020.