Birkie, Korte, Prince Haakon, BirkieTour & Fat Bike Birkie
Hayward, Wis. (April 25, 2017) – The American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation (ABSF) board of directors today announced that registration will open for the 2018 American Birkebeiner schedule of events on May 1, 2017. North America’s largest cross-country ski race, the Slumberland American Birkebeiner, is scheduled for Saturday, February 24, 2018, with the Kortelopet and Prince Haakon races slated for Friday, February 23, 2018. Additionally, Fat Bike Birkie, the world’s largest fat bike race, is March 10, 2018, with the BirkieTour hosted on January 14, 2018.
Friday, February 23, 2018
- 10:45am – Kortelopet 29K Classic & Skate Ski Race
– North America’s second largest ski race will journey from the Highway “OO” Trailhead east of Seeley, WI, to the finish line on Hayward’s Main Street.
- 1:15pm – Prince Haakon 15K Classic & Skate Ski Race
– A race which honors the eventual Norwegian King, rescued and skied to safety by Birkebeiner warriors in 1206, the Prince Haakon Race will begin near Mosquito Brook, outside of Hayward, WI, and will finish in downtown Hayward.
Saturday, February 24, 2018
- 8:30am – 44th Annual Slumberland American Birkebeiner 50K Skate & 55K Classic Ski Race
– 2018 Slumberland AmericanBirkebeiner skiers will embark on an over 50K journey (50K skate/55K classic) to their destination in Hayward, WI. North America’s largest cross-country ski race finds thousands of skiers recreating the journey that Norwegian Birkebeiner warriors traveled to save Prince Haakon – the very legacy of the American Birkebeiner race.
There is a 10,500-participant race cap for the combined three races. Registration will close when this cap is reached. Wave Placement is based on a first registered, first seeded basis. Once a wave has filled, participants will be placed in the next available wave.
As part of registration, 2018 Slumberland American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, or Prince Haakon registrants have an opportunity to help the ABSF go greener by donating $35 to the ABSF toward a reusable Birkie gear bag. This reusable backpack or duffle style bag will be used in lieu of the large plastic bags skiers normally receive as part of their packet at bib pick-up. The $125 value exclusive Birkie gear bag is available only while supplies last and only during the registration process. It is the hope of the ABSF that participants will choose this option which will ultimately assist in reducing the overall amount of waste generated by use of plastic bags during the annual ski events. The Birkie gear bag is a slightly larger version of that used by the US Ski Team athletes. Details are available at www.Birkie.com.
Saturday, March 10, 2018
- 45NRTH Fat Bike Birkie
– The Fat Bike Birkie is the world’s largest fat bike race and offers both 47K (The Big Fat) & 23K (The Chico) race options for riders of all skill levels. In its sixth year, the Fat Bike Birkie has grown from fewer than 200 riders in 2013 to an estimated 1200 riders from 19 states and two countries in 2017. In addition, a criterium obstacle course and fat bike expo round out the event weekend.
Sunday, January 14, 2018
– The BirkieTour, an untimed, aid station supported tour of the Birkie Trail provides skiers with
experience on the trail before February races, allows skiers who are not interested in racing an opportunity to experience a supported event, and extends skiers a fun and camaraderie filled atmosphere, with family and friends, at their leisure, on the legendary Birkie Trail.
Registration for all events is available at www.Birkie.com.