Last Chance to Guarantee Birkie Gear Bag for 2018 Races
Hayward, Wis. (June 26, 2017) – Registration for the 2018 American Birkebeiner schedule of ski events opened in May and included North America’s largest cross-country ski race, the Slumberland American Birkebeiner (Birkie), the Kortelopet, (Korte) and Prince Haakon races. This Friday, June 30, 2017, registration prices for 2018 ski events will increase.
There is a 10,500-participant race cap for the combined three races. Registration will close when this cap is reached. Wave Placement is based on a first registered, first seeded basis. Once a wave has filled, participants will be placed in the next available wave. All three races sold out in 2017. Registration for all events is available at www.Birkie.com.
Friday, February 23, 2018
- 10:45am – Kortelopet 29K Classic & Skate Ski Race
- North America’s second largest ski race will journey from the Highway “OO” Trailhead east of Seeley, WI, to the finish line on Hayward’s Main Street.
- 1:15pm – Prince Haakon 15K Classic & Skate Ski Race
- A race which honors the eventual Norwegian King, rescued and skied to safety by Birkebeiner warriors in 1206, the Prince Haakon Race will begin near Mosquito Brook, outside of Hayward, WI, and will finish in downtown Hayward.
Saturday, February 24, 2018
- 8:30am – 44th Annual Slumberland American Birkebeiner 50K Skate & 55K Classic Ski Race
- 2018 Slumberland American Birkebeiner skiers will embark on an over 50K journey (50K skate/55K classic) to their destination in Hayward, WI. North America’s largest cross-country ski race finds thousands of skiers recreating the journey that Norwegian Birkebeiner warriors traveled to save Prince Haakon – the very legacy of the American Birkebeiner race.
Going Green with Birkie Gear Bag
During the registration process for the 2018 Slumberland American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, or Prince Haakon races, registrants have an opportunity to help the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation (ABSF) to go greener by donating $35 to the ABSF toward a reusable Birkie gear bag. This reusable backpack or duffle style bag will be used in lieu of the large plastic bags skiers normally receive as part of their race packet at bib pick-up. The Birkie gear bag is designed to hold skiers warm clothes and personal belongings needed at the race finish.
The durable backpack style bag is 26.5 x 10.5 x 12.5, with zippers, clip closures, a special clear sleeve for bib numbers, and sturdy backpack straps. The $125 value exclusive Birkie gear bag is available only while supplies last and only guaranteed before the June 30, 2017 registration price increase. It is the hope of the ABSF that participants will choose this option which will ultimately assist in reducing the overall amount of waste generated by use of plastic bags during the annual ski events. Only the official Birkie gear bag or the provided yellow or white plastic bags will be accepted at bag drop-off on race day 2018; no other bags or packs will be accepted for bag transport. The Birkie gear bag is a slightly larger version of that used by the US Ski Team athletes. Details are available at www.Birkie.com.