5 Reasons to Attend the Birkie Welcome and Torch Lighting
Press release — Get ready for some great new additions to the Official Welcome and Torch Lighting at Birkie 2012. The festivities start at a new time–5:30 p.m. on Thursday, February 23, on Hayward’s Main Street, under the holiday lights. It all starts with the traditional parade of flags, presented by skiers from both Hayward and Drummond high school ski teams. Here’s what else is happening:
- THE LANDGRAF FAMILY. You can help extend a warm Birkie welcome to Laurie Landgraf, who will be lighting the Birkie Torch. Laurie is the wife of Dave Landgraf, Birkie Founder and friend, coach, and skiing buddy to many, who passed away after a tragic bicycle accident in August.
- SKI UNDER THE LIGHTS. New this year, you are invited to ski on Main Street under the holiday lights and start a new Birkie tradition with family and friends.
- PRIZES! Five great prizes–One Way Ski poles, Rudy Project sunglasses, a Fischer ski bag, Mizuno jacket, and your choice four Salomon trail running shoes—will be given away in a random drawing. Prizes will be presented by Norway’s Vegard Ulvang.
- TRY OUT GIANT SKIS. There will be two pair of the 25-foot-long Giant Skis to try. These are the same skis used the next day, Friday, at the Giant Ski event on Main Street. The skis have snowshoe bindings, so you can hop right on with family and friends.
- MORE OF VEGARD ULVANG. The Welcome and Torch Lighting is held immediately following the presentation by Ulvang about his 2011 expedition to the South Pole, to be held at the Hayward High School from 4:00 to 5:00. Hayward High School is right next to the Hayward Middle School—site of the Birkie Expo—on Greenwood Lane.
For details call 715-634-5025. Email email@example.com. Visit www.birkie.com.
Alex Kochon (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the former managing editor at FasterSkier. She spent seven years with FS from 2011-2018, and has been writing, editing, and skiing ever since. She's making a cameo in 2020.