NYSEF CLIMB TO THE CASTLE ROLLERSKI RACE
Saturday, September 15, 2012
WILMINGTON, N.Y. — The New York Ski Educational Foundation and the Olympic Regional Development Authority announce the 6th annual NYSEF Whiteface Climb to the Castle Rollerski Race on Saturday, September 15 at 8:00 am. The course starts at the Whiteface Toll Booth, climbing for 5 miles with an average 8% grade up the Whiteface Memorial Highway to the castle on the summit of Whiteface Mountain, New York’s 5th highest peak with an elevation of 4,867 ft. The race is freestyle technique and athletes will be greeted at the finish with a 360-degree panoramic view of the Adirondacks, New England and Canada. Attendance is expected from the US Ski Team, the US Biathlon Team, the National Elite Group and many top senior and junior racers from around the country.
Registration link (open soon): AlpineReg
Check out the NYSEF XC webpage for updates: http://nysef.org/vanhoevenberg.html
Full race details:
- $30 pre-registration entry fee, $40 day-of-race registration entry fee
- Pre-register online at alpinereg.com
- Pre-registration closes Thursday, September 13 at 9 AM
- Day-of-race registration from 6:30 – 7:00 AM at the Whiteface Toll Booth
- Bib pick-up from 7:00 – 7:30 AM at the Whiteface Toll Booth
- 8:00 AM Women’s Mass Start (all age classes)
- 8:10 AM Men’s Mass Start (all age classes)
- The race will be timed for 2 hours. Any competitors not able to finish in this time window will be picked up before the finish.
- Women’s and Men’s age classes for the following divisions:
- Open/Elite, OJ/U-23, Junior (J2/J1), Master (30+)
HELMETS ARE REQUIRED! All rollerskis must be inspected by competitor and be in proper working order.
Freestyle Technique. 5-mile hill climb with an average 8% grade up the Whiteface Memorial Highway. Course: start at the Whiteface Toll Booth in Wilmington and finish at the Castle on the summit of Whiteface Mountain (elevation 4,867 ft)
Disclaimer: Inclement weather may limit the race distance. Course is closed to rollerskiing before the start. Pre-race warm-up on rollerskis can only occur in a designated area. All post-race cooling down must be done on foot.
VEHICLE TRAFFIC AND POST-RACE INFO
Please carpool to the race start, parking will be limited. The Whiteface Memorial Highway will be closed to the general public during the race. Coaches and spectators who will be watching the race will be able to drive up and park off the road until 7:50 AM. All traffic must be parked off the road from 7:50 AM until 9:00 AM. There will be no moving traffic allowed during the race. All competitors will be shuttled back to the race start. No athletes will be allowed to ski back down after the race. Competitors may place a bag in the NYSEF van with post-race clothing that will be driven to the finish line.
- Awards at the Whiteface Castle immediately following the event at 10 am.
- Prizes awarded to Top 3 Overall and Top 3 in each age class.
Questions? Email Margaret Maher firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Nordic office at (518) 523-1900.
Alex Kochon (email@example.com) is the former managing editor at FasterSkier. She spent seven years with FS from 2011-2018, and has been writing, editing, and skiing ever since. She's making a cameo in 2020.