Coach: Paralympic Nordic Skiing
Within the global parameters of the U.S. Paralympics Nordic Skiing High Performance strategy and USOC Paralympic Sport Performance priorities, the Coach will exercise principal leadership in the development and implementation of performance-focused year-round training programs for U.S. Paralympics Nordic Skiing programs and athletes. The Coach will lead day-to-day training at various sites, and in collaboration with the Director, U.S. Paralympics Nordic Skiing and other program staff, lead key programmatic activities. The Coach will work in collaboration with the Director on overall program and budget management. The Coach will promote and support the Olympic and Paralympic movements and contribute to overall planning, sport planning and implementation of Paralympic Division and USOC organizational priorities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead development of annual and seasonal training plans and daily workouts for national team, and development athletes as relevant.
- Lead in the execution of athletes’ individual training programs.
- Set training courses, develop equipment list for each project, and maintain relationships with training sites and other partners as relevant.
- Oversee facility and performance service requests/availability with athlete schedules to maximize training and recovery.
- Track athlete performances, workout data, sport science data, and annual progress reports/graphs as relevant for the program.
- Contribute to the annual development of the 4-year rolling high performance plan for the U.S. Paralympics Nordic Skiing Program.
- Provide support and coaching to athletes at team practices, camps, and competitions.
- In collaboration with the Director, plan travel and logistics for the Nordic Skiing program to competitions, camps, events and other scheduled activities.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with USOC and NGB staff, with local Nordic Skiing programs, other local partners, and with others in and outside of the Nordic Skiing community as is beneficial to the program.
- In collaboration with other Paralympic staff members, contribute to the U.S. Paralympics athlete identification and development strategy. This includes assisting in the creation and implementation of Nordic specific programs within that strategy, utilizing available USOC resources and partnerships with other organizations.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Director.
- Regular attendance at work is an essential job function.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Bachelor degree and Nordic skiing coach education &/or certification.
Licensure & Certification:
- USSA coaching certification
- USBA coaching certification or recent USBA coaches conference participation preferred
- USSA and/or USBA Coaches License
- Minimum 5 years of experience coaching cross country skiing or biathlon
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience, preferably as a head coach leading 2 or more coaches
- Professional experience with Paralympic programs desired
- Proven ability to promote sport performance
- Demonstrated leadership & collaboration skills, specifically with athletes and staff
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Tools, Equipment, & Conditions
- Standard office equipment
- Sports training and sport science equipment
- Sport training and competition venues
- Hotels, dorms and other camp and competition environments
- Significant national and international travel
Work Location: TBD
Travel Required: Yes. Significant national and international travel